Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My recent engine tick problem and the fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG...I just had the same EXACT thing happen to me! I have had my 2003 Disco for a little over a month now. I have just about gone through the 60K Service List (Thank you Fellas!) and put a new HD Front Shaft on it. Well I had the dreaded Engine knock as well and it was loud and noticeable. I even had a tech from the local dealer listen to it and stated that it sounded like a lower engine knock from the left (drivers side).

I had performed the engine flush and initially put in 5W-30 Mobil 1 because my Parts Guy assured me that's what the vehicle called for. That didn't make the tick any better. After a week I drained that week old fluid and put in Rotella-T 15W-40 with a new K&N filter. That didn't help the tick. I tried every "Snake Oil" I could research and find (Marvel Mystery, Lucas, Risone, etc.). I drained the oil again after a few days and put in a 15W-50 with the hopes that it would help it and it didn't. So I finally started to accept the fact that I bought a beautiful truck that needed internal engine overhaul. Even tried to call RoverMasterTech's shop in NJ (I'm in FL) to see if I could bring it up there for the overhaul, I didn't get an answer and didn't leave a message.

Finally, one of the last repairs on my long list of repairs to bring this Rover up to my standards was replacing the leaking Power Steering pump. I almost don't want to say it and jinx myself but after putting on the Reman Cardone Pump and flushing PS system and topping off NO ENGINE KNOCK whatsoever!!! My motor is running beautifully and sounds the way it should. I thought my scenario was a freak incident and was waiting for the knock to come back and one week and several hundred miles later still sounds good!

To those asking about the Cardone Reman pump I had to change it out 3 times within a week. The first one came with a pulley already installed that ended up spinning off and nearly causing tremendous damage while driving on the Interstate. The second one (warrantied of course) leaked like a menstruating woman within two days of installing it (this one didn't come with a pulley, had to go find my old one and install it). The third (warrantied again) is the one that has been on there for over a week with no problems to testify to yet.

If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't dare own this truck. But I love it!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by RoverFL:
salty disco (09-30-2020), Senormac (04-12-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Great, your on your third Cardone pump......I'd be making them buy you fluid for that nightmare!

Old 04-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Great, your on your third Cardone pump......I'd be making them buy you fluid for that nightmare!
Your right, I should have. I'm sure I spent at least $50.00 on wasted fluids and Lucas Additive during that whole escapade!

Old 04-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

"If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't dare own this truck. But I love it!!!"

I heard 'dat <nodding head in agreement>...

The following users liked this post:
salty disco (09-30-2020)
Old 04-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Who has a thought on what inside the PS pump can cause the tick noise? I ask because I just bought a Kotek PS pump rebuild kit that includes new gaskets, o-rings and oil seals. But, if there is a wear item inside the pump the kit only serves (obviously) to stop the pump from leaking.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have two pumps, Im going to take them both apart and see which is in worse shape to use for a return core. I'll see what causes the tick

Old 04-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default pulley on backwards

This will cause a load tick as well.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm not able to post pics from my phone. But I found 2 of the large internal roller bearings loosing there hard surfacing and pitted. I think I found the tick inside the power steering pump. If anyone has a ticking pump on hand, tear it down and see if yours is similar.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Old 04-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

[img]img_1868[/img]

Quick Reply: My recent engine tick problem and the fix