Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My recent engine tick problem and the fix

Old 04-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I cant figure out how to get the damn pic from my Macbook to this thread? Oh well...Sorry for the multiple nothingness posts!

Old 04-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Yesterday, I took my pump apart as well. The unit has an eccentric gear setup with a bunch of cylindrical needle bearings that ride in cut-outs near the edge of the rotating gear. If the pump ever ran dry, or if the fluid was to become extremely dirty I could see where the needle bearings could wear down and cause a noise. Maybe a tick of sorts. My bearings are still polished shiny like chrome, so I used the rebuild kit and sealed the thing back up. Hopefully, it will run quietly and will not leak.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Tick

Had a 2004 discovery from new for 5 years - never had any problems. Very sorry I got rid of it. Just got a 2003 discovery with tick. Had it checked out by independent mechanics and the stealer. All said, it is mechanically sound and that I was hearing a slipped liner which "they all have" and don't worry. Now that I saw this thread I am not so sure what the sound is. It appears to be loudest on driver's side and down low in front of engine. My stethoscope also picks up loudest sound down near PS pump bracket. One other thing I have noted, which I never saw before on my 2004 or any other car that I can remember (not on the other 2 I drive either.) The PS fluid is thrown all over in the reservoir (which is firmly installed) when the engine is running. Is that cavitation normal? Has it happened on trucks with failing pumps?

Another reason I am not so willing to trust the expert opinions I was given is this. I mentioned to them that this truck didn't seem as responsive to the accelerator as did my 2004. I didn't do much auto mechanical work on my own over late fall and winter as it was cold out here. A few weeks ago i decided to go over everything and found the accelerator cable was way loose. I had to tighten it up quite a bit to get to specs. Now I can feel quite a bit more in the response to accelerator. This oversight by my experts leads me to also wonder about the noise diagnoses they gave me.

Thanks for any response. This is a great board. Always interesting to see that Disco 2 forum is the biggest in use.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to read all the posts. My 2003 Disco is ticking now and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it. Keep em coming

Old 04-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pinned the liners a few month back on my '02 and it still ticks, after that big a job I just gave up. I'll drive it until it blows up or I sell it.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Now that I saw this thread I am not so sure what the sound is. It appears to be loudest on driver's side and down low in front of engine. My stethoscope also picks up loudest sound down near PS pump bracket. One other thing I have noted, which I never saw before on my 2004 or any other car that I can remember (not on the other 2 I drive either.) The PS fluid is thrown all over in the reservoir (which is firmly installed) when the engine is running. Is that cavitation normal? Has it happened on trucks with failing pumps?
Yes the fluid cavitates. Pull your serpentine belt off and see if the ticking sound goes away.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

our tick was the drivers side rockers.

the holes were clogged. when I did the head gaskets, I checked and cleaned everything. I also replaced the valve seals.

I DONT believe the "slipped liner" is as common as everyone makes it seem.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spazmoid
Hey everyone. I just want to share my recent experience with a loud ticking noise that I thought may have been the dreaded cylinder liner tick. Hopefully this can help someone diagnose their ticking if they think it's a liner too. So for no apparent reason the engine starting making a ticking noise that followed engine rpm. It was coming from the front left side of the engine (front drivers side). It sounded like it was coming from the head so I immediately thought the worst, or a bad hydraulic lifter or something. It made the noise sometimes only when warm, and sometimes all the time even on cold startup, but it seemed to get worse after driving 15 miles or so. To diagnose the problem I removed the serpentine belt and ran the engine for just a few seconds (don't run it long as the water pump won't be turning). The noise stopped when I did this so I knew it wasn't an internal engine problem. The noise was coming from around the power steering pump so I tried spinning that by hand and it seemed to make a slight noise. That narrowed it down for me so I changed the pump and all is well now. The power steering itself never showed any signs of failure and it still worked great while making the noise, even offroading. I also tried flushing the fluid first but that didn't help. Sorry for the short book but hopefully this will save someone from getting engine work done that's unneeded.
Thank you for this info! Mine has had a ticking noise and just yesterday the power steering acted funny! So I'm crossing my fingers that's all it is!

Old 07-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
I DONT believe the "slipped liner" is as common as everyone makes it seem.
Agreed. I have only ever came across one slipped liner.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Agreed. I have only ever came across one slipped liner.
I have yet to see one personally.

When you take an engine apart and theres a brown coating on the internals, the little holes in the rockers get clogged. If it sounds like it's right under a valve cover...its probably the rocket hole.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My recent engine tick problem and the fix