Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member and have a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 02:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: New member and have a question

ORIGINAL: mikemeyer0

i would still say drive shaft area, thats what i check on mine and after replacing my u-joints it went away.
ditto. its not too hard of a DIYer if you have the right tools: a couple of 14mm wrenches, circlip pliers (thats what my haynes manual called them), a vice, a hammer and a socket.

be sure you do it ASAP, as the rattling can tear up some of the pieces of the U-joint and make it quite difficult to remove (trust me on that one) you'll need to get one wheel off the ground and pop your tranny or transfer case in neuteral to get to all the bolts on the shafts, be sure to chalk the tires. try not to seperate your drive shaft once you get it off. mark it just in case. this is to keep everything balanced. also make a note of where the grease nipple (XD) is, once again, balance. dont forget to grease everything back up when your done.

anywho, i hear hitting your shafts and joints with a grease gun every now and then will help prevent this problem from happening in the first place.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:08 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New member and have a question

Thanks for you response. does anyone have any pictures showing how to take it off? And are there two u-joints? One in the front and one in the back of the driveshaft?