Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new rear shock mount location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dusty, most commonly used is 2"OD x 25 (1.5"ID) DOM tubing.

Chrome Moly though... that's tempting... I'm sure that's stronger the DOM. I wonder what the cost difference is. I haven't picked up my tubing yet, or even called for a quote. I might take that route if its not too much more... just because, well, because.

I'm thinking about 2 sticks is good enough for the front and rear, with a little(a lot) room for mistakes.

Sorry for the late-ish response. I was trying to fit axles in the back of the D2 without scuffing it up to much... should've taken a picture of em in the rover.

Last edited by Dane!; 04-08-2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Line spacing....not...correct...
Old 04-09-2014, 04:54 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
I wonder if it has a "nobody wants to play with me" vocalized horn. got to admit I kind of wanted to see more of the 8x8.
There ya go Dusty that'll float ya boat

8x8 defender! - Land Rover Zone

There is always a PITA with everything though, parking the damned thing in a municipal or Walmart car par on a Saturday morning.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 04-09-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane!
Dusty, most commonly used is 2"OD x 25 (1.5"ID) DOM tubing.

Chrome Moly though... that's tempting... I'm sure that's stronger the DOM. I wonder what the cost difference is. I haven't picked up my tubing yet, or even called for a quote. I might take that route if its not too much more... just because, well, because.

I'm thinking about 2 sticks is good enough for the front and rear, with a little(a lot) room for mistakes.

Sorry for the late-ish response. I was trying to fit axles in the back of the D2 without scuffing it up to much... should've taken a picture of em in the rover.

yeah, I ordered the cm for the low long bars and have standard dom for safer location link. cm for the added strength. safe than sorry. but dom price is cheaper
$14 vs cm $25 for same size.

ordered pre fab brackets and joints from ballistic, but have yet to figure out the best option for bushings at axle... open to suggestions. ballistic has those greasable poly w/ weldable sleeve, but not sure if that is the way to go.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
There ya go Dusty that'll float ya boat

8x8 defender! - Land Rover Zone

There is always a PITA with everything though, parking the damned thing in a municipal or Walmart car par on a Saturday morning.
definitely something to see.
but only see.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DOM Sleeve

It's DOM tubing with a zerk fitting.... you have the tubing so you could make it yourself. As long as the upper link is adjustable you should be fine.

I might put a small heim right there in the center. Because I was thinking the other day that the bushings are 2.5" wide and the tube is 2" wide. So you'd have to space your center y link thing .25 on each side for it to work. I'm thinking that might compromise some strength. I wouldn't want to do that, especially if you bought cromo tubing.