Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie just getting into Disco Market

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie just getting into Disco Market

Hello all,
This is my first post, so please be gentle. I have recently fallen in love with the idea of owning a Discovery. I will looking for an inexpensive, older model that I can wrench in myself and bring up to speed. I have just finished up a Porsche 928 and it is a labor of love, so I figured I might give it a try with a Disco.
My question is this, what specifically should I be paying attention to when inspecting these trucks? I am sure that there are some things that get really expensive, really fast. So, what are the things that are automatic deal-breakers on these things? Also, what are the things most likely to be suspect on mid to late 90's models?

TIA,

Last edited by robot808; 08-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robot808
I have just finished up a Porsche 928
Any you still have money AND sanity left to get into a Disco?

(I just finished a flooded out 944 - 3 years of pain. So I empathize, yet didn't have NEARLY the epic part prices you must have.)

Old 08-05-2009, 04:53 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2002 Disco II but if I were to do it all over again I would go with a DI as they are easier to work on an are less computerized. Personally I would stay away from models with ACE and SLS as they are just more systems to fail. As long as the engine sounds good and the transmission is shifting smoothly you should be gtg. First thing I would do is rebuild the front driveshaft unless it has a Tom Woods or something.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Any you still have money AND sanity left to get into a Disco?

(I just finished a flooded out 944 - 3 years of pain. So I empathize, yet didn't have NEARLY the epic part prices you must have.)
Daryl,
Thanks for the response. I have precious little money and frankly the sanity was gone well before I bought the Porsche. I have it well sorted now and maintenance should be manageable.
I picked up parts when I found them cheap. I did put in a decent amount of cash, but it was patience more than anything.
What I did was to buy a car that was in need of work, but nothing catastrophic. I first made it safe and legal, but then took things in the order in which I found cheap (of course that is a relative term) replacement parts.
I am hoping to do the same with a Rover. I am hoping that the collective wisdom of this board can keep me from buying a $2K Discovery that needs a $7K repair before my first camping trip.

I will hang up and take your responses off the air.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I have a 2002 Disco II but if I were to do it all over again I would go with a DI as they are easier to work on an are less computerized. Personally I would stay away from models with ACE and SLS as they are just more systems to fail. As long as the engine sounds good and the transmission is shifting smoothly you should be gtg. First thing I would do is rebuild the front driveshaft unless it has a Tom Woods or something.
That's just the kind of thing I wanted to hear.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Theres no love for me on here so I will post this thread for you.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328
This should answer most of your questions.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Spike, I am afraid that I don't understand the lack of love, but I am very grateful for your post. That is just the kind of thing I am looking for.
So, anything that is a straight up deal breaker? Leaks that BIG problems? Certain things that very desireable?
Thanks everyone.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

head gaskets leak, if they are replaced recently thats a plus, and drive shafts explode, if its replaced of rebuilt thats a plus. if neither of these are done its worth no more than $3.5k

Old 08-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Three Wheeling

I've got the itch real bad. I am loosely looking at a 94 SE7. Any thoughts about the old ignition system? + or -?
Also, did these not have sunroofs back then? Some safety improvements made after that MY?
Thanks for putting up with my inexperience.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We all start off inexperienced, if you dont know you wont find out if you dont ask.
The only down side to the distributor ignition is the ignition module fails from excessive heat, www.atlanticbritish.com sells a relocation kit for this problem.
The distributors are expensive brand new.
The older ones can have electrical ground problems.
There are no real differences in safety between a '95 and a '98.
Yes they had sunroofs back then, remember that the Disco went on sale back in '89 so it has been around for awhile, the additions from '89 to '95 were it went from a 3-door to a 4-door and they added 4 wheel ABS and dual airbags.
For all intensive purposes a DI is a DI and a DII is a DII, cosmetic changes aside they are the same trucks.
In '96 they went from the 3.9 with a distributor to a 4.0 with electronic ignition, the 3.9, 4.0 and 4.6 (2003 & 2004 DII) are the same block and heads just different bore and stroke.
www.atlanticbritish.com, scroll to the bottom of the page and read their "tech tips"
www.descoweb.org and on the top of the page find there "tech tips"
These trucks are fun, fun to own, fun to work on and fun to look at, you can "Disco on a budget" if you know where to shop and what you are doing.