Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no foward are reverse drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:40 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no foward are reverse drive

i jacked up both tires on one side.if i put the rover in drive only front wheel turns.while in drive i see both drive shafts turning.if i lock the diff i only see the front tire spinning also.with all four wheels on the ground in normal drive rover does not move but hear a whinning noise which i thought was coming from the transfer box.but if i lock the diff the rover drives.also ebrake does not work.whats the problem.please tell me in detail.are explain to me how i can diagnose problem further.i live on a island cant find a mechanic that even knows about land rovers.is it broken diff are half shaft are transfer box

Old 06-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: no foward are reverse drive

You have one of two things going on, either you have a broken axle or a blown up diff. If you can engage the CDL and the front shaft is spinning while the truck is not moving then it is in the front diff. How mechanical are you? Where do you live?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

He lives in Hawaii.
Here is what you need to do, get all four wheels off the ground, put it in drive and see what wheels turn.
While in drive look under the trk to see which driveshaft is spinning.
If while in gear one driveshaft doesnt spin then engage the CDL and see if both drive shafts spin.
If both shafts spin while in gear and the CDL is NOT engaged then it is something with that axle.
If both shafts only spin WITH the CDL engaged then it is your transfer case.
You can get parts shipped to you from the mainland if you cannot find them locally.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike has it right. Either you have a broken rear axle or your diff is blown. Drain the fluid from your rear diff and see if there are chunks in it. I would pop off your rear cover and check the teeth on your ring and pinion gears. If they look ok, pull your rear wheels and pull the axles out. Check the splines on the ends. My bet is that your gearson your diff are eaten up.