Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The octane situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Gotta agree with Frank on this one. If you manually calculate your MPG they'll definitely come out differently. I've never gotten more than 14 mpg out of my disco. I regularly sit at 12.5. There was a single solitary tank that came out around 19mpg, but I filled up after about a 30 minute drive and added some gas out of a can which I guessed on the amount left.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:41 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I routinely get 16.5 on freeway trips at 75mph. I do use the pencil and paper method and start from a full fill up, then top up after about 10 gallons is burned, then its just math.

Once I calculate in city driving no more high teens.

I call my truck the 5000 lb fuel quality detector. I've found that my truck performs better using Chevron Supreme. I Tried the Costco premium but was disappointed in the performance and found it was not worth the savings. I can tell instantly now when using inferior gas.

I use Chevron Supreme exclusively. 92 octane in these parts, with Ethanol. Occasionally I'll find non ethanol premium (in Idaho) which runs even better!!

I previously used ARCO AM/PM premium until my mechanic told me to stop using bad gas. Had some dirty injector issues, etc. I then manned up to the Chevron Supreme and have not looked back. Even the low grade AMPM premium does not run as good or clean as Top Tier Supreme. I suspect AMPM is the same gas or similar to Costco. Bottom line even budget premium is not as good as top tier premium. Both may be better than running regular but low grade is low grade, cheap is cheap, you get what you pay for in this case.

Last edited by Dave03S; 09-15-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Rocking an average 12 mpg after a full rebuild of the truck. I drive about 40 miles everyday. 30 highway 10 city.

..:: The octane situation ::..-forumrunner_20160915_105143.png

Wife gave me permission to start the planning process for an engine swap I'm thinking the 2.7L Ford Ecoboost if I can find I one. Otherwise either the 3.5L Ecoboost or 4.7L. Hoping I can get 15 city and hopefully break 20 for highway. Plus the addition of 100+ HP and torque for towing!

Old 09-15-2016, 03:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I routinely get 16.5 on freeway trips at 75mph. I do use the pencil and paper method and start from a full fill up, then top up after about 10 gallons is burned, then its just math.

I call my truck the 5000 lb fuel quality detector. I've found that my truck performs better using Chevron Supreme. I Tried the Costco premium but was disappointed in the performance and found it was not worth the savings. I can tell instantly now when using inferior gas.

I use Chevron Supreme exclusively. 92 octane in these parts, with Ethanol. Occasionally I'll find non ethanol premium (in Idaho) which runs even better!!

I previously used ARCO AM/PM premium until my mechanic told me to stop using bad gas. Had some dirty injector issues, etc. I then manned up to the Chevron Supreme and have not looked back. Even the low grade AMPM premium does not run as good or clean as Top Tier Supreme. I suspect AMPM is the same gas or similar to Costco. Bottom line even budget premium is not as good as top tier premium. Both may be better than running regular but low grade is low grade, cheap is cheap, you get what you pay for in this case.

X2 on the discount gas. I dipped to around 7.5mpg with a Costco tank once, never again. Truck felt like I was towing the titanic.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Dave03S

Run your tank until the light comes on fill up and go from there. Your numbers will be different.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I'll stick with 93 octane fuel

Old 09-15-2016, 05:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by RedRovin'
Rocking an average 12 mpg after a full rebuild of the truck. I drive about 40 miles everyday. 30 highway 10 city.

Attachment 30848

Wife gave me permission to start the planning process for an engine swap I'm thinking the 2.7L Ford Ecoboost if I can find I one. Otherwise either the 3.5L Ecoboost or 4.7L. Hoping I can get 15 city and hopefully break 20 for highway. Plus the addition of 100+ HP and torque for towing!
These numbers are Very reasonable.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
Run your tank until the light comes on fill up and go from there. Your numbers will be different.

Why would they? Assuming you don't change your driving habits, your engine needs the same amount of fuel for a given situation whether you have 9/10 or or 1/10 in the tank.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I think 16.5 is reasonably achievable under the right conditions with a truck in tip top shape without off road tires, roof rack, large lift, etc. Any more than that and I'd get skeptical, and I disagree that running the tank to empty will change the numbers. It never has for me.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Red5
Why would they? Assuming you don't change your driving habits, your engine needs the same amount of fuel for a given situation whether you have 9/10 or or 1/10 in the tank.
Give it a whirl, all I am saying.

Quick Reply: ..:: The octane situation ::..