Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 181 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by DCDisco2
I've asked these gents to update me when/if they get this done

https://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/col...ery-water-pump
So I emailed them as well and didnt hear back. I kept emailing them until finally last week they sent this:

"I am sorry to say that at this time there is not a large enough market (for the Discovery 2) to warrant the expense of manufacturing a batch, We are hoping that as a little more time goes by, the market will increase and make it economically feasible. Thank you for your interest, and please stay in touch.
The Brassworks and FlowKooler
support@thebrassworks.net
(805)239-2501
"

Maybe if we start a new thread, and all post to it promising to purchase a pump, they would consider making a batch?

Old 07-25-2021, 11:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ordered a new hose kit from Lucky8 and as my luck would have it the upper assembly has these clamps. I cannot figure any way to remove them without damaging the hoses. Has anyone else dealt with these and know how to remove them? I can't use my old hoses, they are in bad shape. I'm going to reach out to Lucky8 as well and see what can be done...

Old 07-25-2021, 02:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,457 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Well the good news is you have to trim the hose anyway for the install, so no giant worries. One of the three is binned along with the tee, the one going to the radiator needs to be trimmed, that only leaves the one going to the manifold and even it is a little long stock.. All that said, I have had good luck on my Jag cutting those off with a large pair of end cutting pliers. The other option is to use a dremel and don't cut all the way through.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Extinct
Well the good news is you have to trim the hose anyway for the install, so no giant worries. One of the three is binned along with the tee, the one going to the radiator needs to be trimmed, that only leaves the one going to the manifold and even it is a little long stock.. All that said, I have had good luck on my Jag cutting those off with a large pair of end cutting pliers. The other option is to use a dremel and don't cut all the way through.
That is excellent news. I don't have any end cutting pliers yet, but maybe I'll go get a pair. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2021, 02:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Extinct
Ended up using a metal file to get the hoses off, only to then cut them beyond what I would have to get them off. Oh well. Installed the mod, the first impression is great. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2021, 03:02 PM
Camel Trophy

Great, for the benefit of other, post your temps and conditions here.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:42 PM
Three Wheeling

The first day with the in-line mod installed. Full disclosure, I also replaced my entire cooling system sans the water pump and upgraded the fan and clutch in the process. Previously I have little data about operating temperatures as the truck is pretty new to me (a month) and I only used a gauge once, but it was running ~210F after idling for 15 minutes. After installing the mod I checked the temps and system by idling for 15 minutes and never had the temperature go above 186.2F. It would get up to 186.2F and then start going down until it reached ~178F then repeat the process every 2 minutes or so. Ambient temps were ~90F and ~90% relative humidity. This didn't repeat during driving conditions when at idle though.
Driving conditions today:
In the Sun, ~90F / 90% Humidity, Speeds 60-65 mph temps steady @185.
Not in the Sun, ~84F/75% Humidity, Speeds 60-65 mph temps steady @181.2
Driving the back roads in roughly the same temperatures/humidity temps fluctuated between 178 - 183F speeds 30-50mph.
I will make another post when I have some more data, but as for now, this mod is great.

The following users liked this post:
RoverSE7 (08-05-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 AM
Camel Trophy

So I recently installed an external temperature sensor in a customers truck using the sensor port. A lot of forum members have asked about and actually ordered the port up variant, I thought you guys might like to see what the installation of the sensor looks like. This particular sensor is a 1/8" NPT fitting so we needed an adapter bushing (available with the kits now to make it easier to get everything in one place). The housing and sensor still both clear the hood with no problems or intereference, they just don't fit quite as snug on the radiator shroud.

The following users liked this post:
discoinfernoOSV (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 09:05 AM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Very Nice. Would you have a picture of the gauge itself, where you installed it and perhaps a link to the one you purchased?

Old 08-04-2021, 09:51 AM
Camel Trophy

I will get pics of the gauge itself up soon. It was an MTX-D from Innovate Motorsports but not sure I can give them a solid recommendation. Purchased from rcagarage.com which arrived quick enough but it was DOA out of the box. Called Innovate and they said I had to send it to them and it would be a couple weeks to repair and send back to me .

Quick Reply: The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread