Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 10:59 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I researched the allisport radiators last summer when I was getting high temps with a (non Extinct) inline stat going up mountains in high heat. I normally use my Disco in winter and it has been sitting so I never pulled the trigger. If I still have the Disco going into next summer I will probably try one out.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Started working on my in-line mod today. For the life of me, I cannot get the bolt for the sensor port out. I can't get the leverage I guess. Is it pre-sealed by any chance? or anyone have suggestions?

Old 07-22-2021, 06:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I don't pre seal them, don't even remove them, they come installed from the factory and I ship them just like that. When I remove them to put sealant on them I usually clamp the housing in a bench vise I'm guessing maybe you don't have a bench vise, maybe clamp it to something with a pair of vise grips? or maybe slip the inlet neck over a pipe or ratchet handle and shove the pipe into the trailer hitch

The following users liked this post:
discoinfernoOSV (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 07:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Extinct
I don't pre seal them, don't even remove them, they come installed from the factory and I ship them just like that. When I remove them to put sealant on them I usually clamp the housing in a bench vise I'm guessing maybe you don't have a bench vise, maybe clamp it to something with a pair of vise grips? or maybe slip the inlet neck over a pipe or ratchet handle and shove the pipe into the trailer hitch
I have a bench vise, but it isn't installed yet. I'll try the pipe when I get home. Was curious how much I needed to mess with it or if I could leave it as is. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:54 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Thermostat Housing

Is this normal? And will it still seal when I put the gaskets and silicone on?

Old 07-22-2021, 03:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by discoinfernoOSV
I have a bench vise, but it isn't installed yet. I'll try the pipe when I get home. Was curious how much I needed to mess with it or if I could leave it as is. Thanks.
Yours sounds tighter than most, so it might not leak if you install as is, but generally easier to remove and seal before you install on the truck so I recommend doing it while you have it off.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:29 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by rikkd

Is this normal? And will it still seal when I put the gaskets and silicone on?
Normal, yes it will seal.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:15 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Thank you!

Old 07-22-2021, 04:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Extinct
Yours sounds tighter than most, so it might not leak if you install as is, but generally easier to remove and seal before you install on the truck so I recommend doing it while you have it off.
While it was very tight, I was able to break it using a pipe to hold everything still. I have it setting right now, hopefully, I can do the install (and swap the rest of the system) tomorrow. Thanks for the help, and the mod.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 70 Posts

Finally got some free time to install the inline thermostat. Super easy to do and great results! Thanks Extinct! Truck is running at 183F on the freeway and around 190-195 around town now depending on traffic. Still have a bit of air in the system so will need to try bleeding again but overall, very happy with the results!

Quick Reply: The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread