Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge installation

I'm wanting to instal my new oil pressure gauge sending unit and went to look at the area where its been suggested I instal. It looks next to impossible to get in there...! Even to remove the original sending unit on there, it looks like I have to remove everything on that side of the engine?!

The writeups I've seen refer to a 2003 D2...I can't even see the spare port that are being referred to! Its incredibly cramped up there!

Perhaps the best option is the Glowshift sandwich adapter?? Not sure which model will fit the Landy...

Suggestions...?

One more question...I think the dealer put too much oil in the engine. Shows overfilled by 1 inch on the dipstick! Is that ok?

2002 D2

Old 10-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1. Overfill is not a plus. You had a Rover dealer do the oil change??? Of course, if it were mine it would leak out in a few days... High oil level in some engines can allow the lobes of the crank shaft to come in contact with the oil pool in the oil sump. You can drain a little, or change oil filter, or use a vacuum oil pump to suck it out of the dip stick tube. Another concern would be if oil is changing color (milky) or you have a loss of coolant (with a head gasket leak) that is filling the oil pan with antifreeze making oil level rise....

2. If space is a problem the pancake adapters for base of filter are a good idea.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry...I should be clear,

I bought it from a dealer 2 months ago. They delivered it to me with a fresh oil change and new filter (LR brand). I checked the oil this morning for fun...it was a little darker now and much easier to see on the dipstick. I guess its safe to say that I don't have a major oil leak!!

I want to put on a WIX filter (51515) instead...That should make up the difference on the dip!? I'm hoping that the wee tick I get at start up (that goes away within about 30-60 secs) will be almost eliminated...

I will opt for the sandwich adapter...!

Thx

Old 10-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Have you posted about the tick before? The word "tick" has special meaning to D2 owners. Lots of things, some quite nasty, can cause ticks. Oil pumps, liners, SAI pump, and more.

You need to establish the habit of fluids check weekly. Cheapest insurance out there.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Talking

Yes I have mentioned the "tick" before. I think it was you that mentioned getting a Mobile 1 oil filter instead of the OEM from LR...that it might resolve the sound. Then someone mentioned that the WIX is the way to go... Lotsa good stuff said about the WIX!

I will pay a little more attention to the dip stick. I do check it frequently and notice a significant portion of the dipstick has oil on it...(Never seem to have my glasses on so I can see the oil...just not that its over the "full" line!!) (Sounds funny I know...I had my glasses on this morning and could see the details lol )

I would like to order the Glowshift plate for the oil sender. Does anyone know which one to order?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Some vehicles come with it, and it can be added to any with a small file - make a notch on the edge at the full line, easy to see in dim light.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Anbran,

this maybe what your looking for Oil Filter Sandwich Adapters .I dont see what year your truck is; but if its an early one you have an oil cooler which is why it looks different than the 03. But you may not be able to use it with the wix 51515 filter, i think that filter is already 7 or 8 inches long.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
Anbran,

this maybe what your looking for [url=http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Oil-Filter-Sandwich-Adapters.aspx]...But you may not be able to use it with the wix 51515 filter, i think that filter is already 7 or 8 inches long.
I had voiced this same concern a while back on a different forum. From what I've been told over there he should be OK with the Gloshift sandwich adapter and the Wix (51515) or Mobile1 (301) filters. I've used both on my D2 and they're the same size.

Below is a link to post indicating there shouldn't be any problems:
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums...tml#post404157