Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump and Timing Chain Replacement Write Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up, looking to do water pump, and possibly this all as well while I am in there. Makes it much quicker if I run into hickups, Thanks so much.

Jonathan

Old 01-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

#3 posidrive it the corret bit needed for the pump cover iirc.

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I've actually already got a 180 stat. It's a Motorad unit. Before you say anything, I put it in before I knew that they were hit and miss. This one performs perfectly, so I must've gotten lucky, but I'll be doing the inline mod in the future along with a more detailed write up than the one already given. With full credit, of course.

Yea, surprised me too drow! The front cover and the oil pump were both in perfectly pristine shape.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

Quite welcome! I'll tell you, just replacing the water pump is a lot less work and many fewer steps. That can be done by only removing the fan, serpentine belt, water pump pulley, maybe the idler pulley (but I don't think so, not sure without looking at it), and then you would be able to remove the water pump. Definitely a good idea to do the oil pump as preventative maintenance if you're over 100k though. If you run into any issues, just come by and drop a question!

Originally Posted by Hellojello74
Thanks for the write up, looking to do water pump, and possibly this all as well while I am in there. Makes it much quicker if I run into hickups, Thanks so much.

Jonathan
Thanks Drow, I didn't remember off hand. I'll add that in.

Originally Posted by drowssap
#3 posidrive it the corret bit needed for the pump cover iirc.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:11 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey thanks Alex, I'm about to pull the Disco in the garage to replace the water pump. In terms of time and materials would it be worth it to go ahead and replace the Oil Pump and Timing Chain? To this point I don't think I've had problems that would necessitate replacement, I wasn't sure if the oil pump/timing chain combo was one of those 'if it ain't broke...' things?

Old 01-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

timing chains stretch with time if you have 150k or better a timing chain is a good idea.
and if your doing the chain the pump is right there

Last edited by drowssap; 01-06-2016 at 09:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Roont (02-14-2024)
Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

Yep, what drow said. Also, the oil pump is one of those things on these trucks that just has a tendency to go. I'd spend a weekend to replace the pump on any truck over 100k.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robert.juric
Hey thanks Alex, I'm about to pull the Disco in the garage to replace the water pump. In terms of time and materials would it be worth it to go ahead and replace the Oil Pump and Timing Chain? To this point I don't think I've had problems that would necessitate replacement, I wasn't sure if the oil pump/timing chain combo was one of those 'if it ain't broke...' things?

I am doing the same thing. Went back and forth and figured its not too much more in parts and I have it apart already so why not. I am almost to 100k but staying ahead of the maintenance curve.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

What a fantastic write-up, thanks a million! I'm just getting ready to replace all these parts and was looking for some assistance and boom, here we are, with you amazing tutorial written and published just two months ago. You rock!

Old 03-16-2016, 12:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I want to make a suggestion on removing the oil pump from the front cover. From my days working on motorcycles, this tool was a must for those easily strippable phillips head screws. The are cheap and made for situations like this. It is a hammer impact tool with bits.

The following 3 users liked this post by Joemamma1954:
DiscoBuckeye (03-16-2016), Roont (02-14-2024), shanechevelle (04-09-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 08:52 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

One thing I started doing was keeping visqueen around, and last time I drained the coolant I placed a large sheet of visqueen under the truck, bunched up around the edges. It made like a pool so that all the coolant was trapped inside. After, I pulled out the visqueen and poured all the coolant into a tub. None (or not much) hit the floor. Other times I had a plastic shallow tub underneath with visqueen beneath. Much easier than cleaning cement.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump and Timing Chain Replacement Write Up