Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG Rocker arm/Lifter trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default thoughts

No they are not paying me more than I paid for the vehicle... just a few cents more than owed.

"Still a great deal....."

I don't want to sue if possible, I just want a FULL refund for a warranty that doesn't do what it says it does.

"You will not win.....and nothing in this world is as it seems..."

Last but not least, I've owned a Lexus in the past, it was a great vehicle. But as a designer, a visual person, those don't appeal to me like the lines of the Disco. Ask yourself "What would Indiana Jones drive?" and the Disco was it.

"Harrisen Ford does own a couple LR's and none are disco's..."

Maybe the new Defender will retain some of the classic styling, until then I will ride the bench. Again, my situation is unique as my vehicle has HALF the mileage of most every other rig I know.

"They grenade with allot less milage than yours ..."There was a terrible design flaw"

If the car wasn't dealer serviced from jump, or if it was paid for, I may have dealt differently. The tick is a sign of worse things to come. Its a reminder I'm financing a SUBPAR product. I don't need a beauty queen who won't live to grow old with me.

"The tick is common,,it can be worse or not..and all cars and trucks are subpar...they are made to get in the service bays and make dealers money...You think they make a big profit selling them? they barely break even on selling them. They make money on service...."

"And they are no beauty queen i can tell you that....grow old....buy a dog..they will last longer...."

Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vrblknch
Anyone who complains about the rear of a SAFARI STADIUM SEAT sounds questionable to me. The rear seats are the best in the house.
Not a complaint, just an observation. I have 2 boys, ages 5 and 6, and they love the truck. I've even had adults in the back seat. BUT, the back seat does not accommodate car seats very well, especially rear-facing ones! Regardless, this isn't the first time I've been called "questionable"- and I'm certain it won't be the last. To each his own!

I've owned a Lexus in the past, it was a great vehicle. But as a designer, a visual person, those don't appeal to me like the lines of the Disco.
I have owned 5 Lexus in the past- LX 470, IS 300, GS 300, LS 430, SC 430. (I know, big deal, right?) They were all terrific vehicles. The SC and the LS are still in our extended family- my wife's parents now lay claim to the SC and my mother enjoys the LS on a daily basis. We put 186,000 miles on the LX, the only unscheduled maintenance it required was the replacement of 2 ignition coils. The GS had more than 150,000 on it when it was sold and also required nothing more than scheduled maintenance. Needless to say, I've had to adjust my expectations to fully embrace and enjoy my Land Rover ownership experience.

Ask yourself "What would Indiana Jones drive?" and the Disco was it.
Indiana Jones never drove a Disco. Why do you want to be like Indiana Jones anyway? He wasn't even a designer and really didn't seem to be all that concerned with aesthetics (except when it comes to women).

Again, my situation is unique as my vehicle has HALF the mileage of most every other rig I know. If the car wasn't dealer serviced from jump...
I assure you, your situation is NOT unique. I bought my truck from a LR dealer (not Carmax or any other such place) with 42k on it. It was off-lease and offered as a CPO vehicle, with full dealer service history. I first noticed the intermittent "tick" just a few weeks after I bought it. I took it in for inspection and they couldn't find anything wrong with it- other than the fact that the head gaskets were "weeping"... So, it got a lot of work done just shy of 45k- all on LRNA's dime. The tick persists to this day, as does oil consumption of roughly 1 quart every 1000 miles; LRNA claims that up to 1 quart every 600 miles is acceptable. For all intents and purposes, it sounds like your aftermarket warranty did as much or more for you than LRNA did for me on a CPO truck!

Sounds like a lot of ****, right? One would think I might even be mad at LR or regret buying the truck, right? Well, I've no regrets. Not since day one. I LOVE my truck. I'd buy another. No, correction, I will buy another.

The reason LR are so "affordable" to buy used is because they're so maintenance intensive. When you buy a truck of this caliber for as little as they can be bought, you can (hopefully) afford to spend some money on it to keep it operating as it should. You can also expect to put up with its idiosyncrasies and nuances- after all, it is British! Anyone that buys a LR simply because the price is so attractive for such a "prestigious" vehicle will almost certainly regret it. That having been said, anyone that buys a truck like this to use merely as a grocery-getter and baby-hauler sounds questionable to me.

I don't need a beauty queen who won't live to grow old with me.
BUY A LEXUS.

Seriously. I really don't think you're "cut-out" for LR ownership.

Cheers!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! Brutal there mates.
No worries, shopping LR3s now. Maybe I'm "cut out" for that model. The reason I bought my car is a Biltmore Inn honeymoon Land Rover package -- I had a wonderful time in all of the line at that time. I've had my Disco for over three years, I'm LAND ROVER EXPERIENCE (Biltmore) certified, I appreciate the styling, nuance, character, and tank safety. Wanting my child safe shouldn't ever be questionable should it? I can afford my vehicle, thats why I spent the extra money to have it dealer serviced. I'm not griping about anything other that the failure rate of the product, ie relating my experience. Which as a Discovery owner, is just about over. Mods please close this thread.

Cheers.

Last edited by vrblknch; 04-12-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Winching

No worries, shopping LR3s now. Maybe I'm "cut out" for that model. The reason I bought my car is a Biltmore Inn honeymoon Land Rover package -- I had a wonderful time in all of the line at that time. I've had my Disco for over three years, I'm LAND ROVER EXPERIENCE (Biltmore) certified, I appreciate the styling, nuance, character, and tank safety. Wanting my child safe shouldn't ever be questionable should it? I can afford my vehicle, thats why I spent the extra money to have it dealer serviced. I'm not griping about anything other that the failure rate of the product, ie relating my experience. Which as a Discovery owner, is just about over. Mods please close this thread.

Cheers.
Sorry. Didn't really mean to be a d!ck, it was an irritating morning...

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default buy a volvo

Cheers.
If you want a safe truck,car, get a volvo...just because the rover is like a tank does not mean it will protect you like a tank....

Old 04-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Lol

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
Sorry. Didn't really mean to be a d!ck, it was an irritating morning...

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
was irritating morning...... must have been working on your truck.....

Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Man vrblknch they're beating you up!

First thing's first. I like the Lexus SUVs (never drove them admittedly), but they just don't quite make the rugged-ness of the Disco. Sorry, I'm sure they're awesome vehicles being Toyota's and all, but they just don't possess the character of a Disco.

Speaking of which, Indiana is straight up awesome, being one of the few action heroes without special powers or super sophisticated machinery. He's a man's man fo sho' and I agree that he WOULD drive a Disco if they made a film based on Britain. He actually drove a Mercedes-Benz LG3000, and a 1949 CITROEN TYPE 23R. The ***** didn't drive a Disco so he didn't drive one.

Second. LR3's are an abomination to the Disco design. IMO, FWIW. Also rated one of Forbes' least reliable SUVs of 2006 (Least Reliable Luxury Cars 2006 - Forbes.com), but then you're used to Disco's so whatever.

Third, The "Tick". I guess I'm lucky, but I had a persistent tick that ended up being a hairline crack in the SAI manifold. Found it JUST short of tearing into the engine to replace lifters. BOY am I glad I did.

What did you end up doing?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aw c'mon I totally disagree, Indiana would only drive a Defender Td5, nothing else.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default yep

Originally Posted by Bundu
Aw c'mon I totally disagree, Indiana would only drive a Defender Td5, nothing else.
he has one on his ranch in wyoming i think it was..saw on a tv interview a while back....

Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by vandev
was irritating morning...... must have been working on your truck.....
No... I rather enjoy wrenching on the Disco! (most of the time)

Just bureaucratic bullsh!t I have to deal with and wade through for work.