Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original driveshaft longivity ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Original driveshaft longivity ???

Well, I was quoted a whole lot more than that here. I'm probably just going to replace both front and back and go with a long spline etc, but I may end up lifting more in the future.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, speaking on something i know something about,(my front driveshaft broke last week), i was told when i got my land rover, they all clunk alot so thats normal, well mine broke. when it starts to go, there will be a clunk going into drive, a clunk going into reverse, and usually nothing going into park. when you let off the gas, it will start to vibrate and when you get back into the gas, it will be ok again. with mine, i came to a red light and it turned green before i could come to a stop, i got back into the gas and it started with a wop-wop-wop every revolution of the shaft. i have a 95 disco 1 and it has 133000 on it. p.s. the transfer case is frozen, just found that out too so after i get it working again, ill go through the positions to make sure they stay lubed and free. the vehicle sat for a year before i got it. the linkage just froze.learn by my mistake, and keep those transfer cases free and do not let the linkage freeze from un-usage. right mike?

Old 11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: pennystockart

ok, speaking on something i know something about,(my front driveshaft broke last week), i was told when i got my land rover, they all clunk alot so thats normal, well mine broke. when it starts to go, there will be a clunk going into drive, a clunk going into reverse, and usually nothing going into park. when you let off the gas, it will start to vibrate and when you get back into the gas, it will be ok again. with mine, i came to a red light and it turned green before i could come to a stop, i got back into the gas and it started with a wop-wop-wop every revolution of the shaft. i have a 95 disco 1 and it has 133000 on it. p.s. the transfer case is frozen, just found that out too so after i get it working again, ill go through the positions to make sure they stay lubed and free. the vehicle sat for a year before i got it. the linkage just froze.learn by my mistake, and keep those transfer cases free and do not let the linkage freeze from un-usage. right mike?
Approximately how many miles from when you first noticed the symptoms to when the driveshaft failed?

Good tip on the T-case shifter! I haven't used mine since my pre-purchase test drive about 6wks ago, and I noticed that it was really stiff and notchy but otherwise worked fine. I have a fair idea the previous owner was a female who's idea of off-roading was jumping curbs and wheel stops at the mall parking lot .

I'm gonna lube the linkage before I head for the muddy/snowy mountains here pretty soon.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling

I used Precision 344 u-joints. I grease them every other oil change. Lube it or lose it.

Willie