Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Physical Rattle/grinding in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 265 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Physical Rattle/grinding in steering wheel

I searched and couldn't find anything on this.

So this morning coming back from dropping off a kid at school, I decided to slide around and play on our street. After getting sideways a couple times, there started to be a distinct rattle in the steering column, right there in the cab, just inside the steering wheel.

Something is very obviously hanging up, but I don't know what. The steering lock works perfect and the turn signal return does as well. I can actually feel the rattle as I turn the wheel in the steering column.

Ironically at the same time, the 3 amigos have been on since purchase (I know the source and am lined up at Great Basin Rovers to get it sorted), but even with the lights on, the ABS still worked although TC did not. Well, after driving up and down the street a couple times to see if I could get an idea on what is catching, that is when I noticed the ABS didn't work any longer. I don't think they are related, but it's a bit hinky dontcha think?

Either way, this seems a bit scary in that if it is the lock, then it could be really bad while driving, but it feels more like the turn signal return, but I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, in addition, the wipers struggle to get going sometimes and I have to kinda wiggle the switch to get them to engage. Related as well?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Did you check the wheel wells and all the components? I have had a similar issue on a Subaru after some fun in the snow and ice. What happened is I got a build up of ice and snow around the hub. Once I knocked it out the issue went away.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

No it's definitely in the steering column.

I think it has something to do with the turn signal return. Although it works perfect, I think the "clicker" that determines how far the wheel has been turned to engage the return. Make sense?

I'm going to try and remove the bottom section of the column and see what I can see. Just hoping I don't have to pull the wheel...

Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

My wipers are lazy on my 01, especially if it is cold out. But, they usually come to life by the time I hit the end of the driveway. I've never investigated the cause, bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Brian.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Figured it out! See the pics below.

So I was correct in that it was something to do with the turn signal return. The ring that I have my finger on seems to have slipped out of place and downed gets hung up. I was able to push it back up out of the way as a fix, but I suspect this will come back. I'll have to remove the steering wheel to really do a correct fix, but at least I know it's nothing critical or dangerous.