Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering leak trigger 3 amigos and clicking metal sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:01 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation power steering leak trigger 3 amigos and clicking metal sound

On my way to work today and and I noticed that my power steering pump is a bit louder than it has been, so I pulled over and checked the PS reservoir, it was still almost full but I decided to top it off anyways using a funnel. After I poured the fluid in and removed the funnel a couple tabelspoons full of fluid came gushing out of the reservoir and made a mess of things, cleaned up the reservoir, capped it and went on my way to work. 15 miles later I make a turn and I hear a loud noise coming from with the engine bay or underneath the truck up front near the drivers wheel. Could not tell if it was more of a clicking or more grinding, but right after the noise the 3 amigos came on followed by a pending check engine code on the Ultra Gauge. Have not checked the UG pending code yet because i did not think it would be related. I have had a ghost vacuum leak code come and go for a year now so. But anyways often times when I make a sudden turn i hear the noise again. I inspected beneath the truck and I did not see anything broken or any metal shavings. The brakes are brand new (calipers, rotors, pads) front and rear so I know its not a typical brake issue. But I did notice alot of fluid on the back side of the front driver disk brake and all over in that general area.

If power steering fluid managed to get on/in all the components on the back side of the disk brake, would that cause any issues with the truck?

Sorry I cant show you the noise, my 3rd htc **** the bed so i threw it in the trash while I was pissed.....

Old 08-30-2014, 05:02 PM
TReK

Checked the code and im getting P1590. I do not have a ABS scan tool and I already know this is only a generic code. Still wondering what people think regarding the power steering fluid. Could it disrupt the system if it came into contact with a abs line? Part of the reason I ask is becasue I also have the brake light warning light.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The TC acts via the ABS modulator system so PS fluid on one disc could possibly create an anomaly with the TC/ABS system and throw up the 3 Amigos. This isn't a guaranteed theory but more speculative as the two issues may just be coincidental and unrelated. Sorry can't be of more help.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:00 PM
TReK

Video link. This is the best I could do to catch the sound. I cant seem to replicate it either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfbq...ature=youtu.be