Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressure in crank case during oil change? PCV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the metal sleeve just pressed in place? And how do you re install it?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94svt50
Is the metal sleeve just pressed in place? And how do you re install it?
We took the PCV hose off and I saw only the little hole on top of the sleeve sticking out of the valve cover. I was questioning how in the world is the new separator going to fit in this sleeve. As we were replacing the valve cover gaskets, I though the separator must be reached under the valve cover and I was thinking there is no way we are going to pull a valve cover every six months. To our surprise there was a cover plate inside the valve cover so there was no way of reaching the separator from inside the valve cover.

On a hunch, I use adjustable plies and very carefully twisted near the top of the metal sleeve and low and behold the sleeve popped out of the valve cover and we could see the separator inside.

The new separator did not go in easily and we had to tap the separator into place.

Put the sleeve back into the valve cover and the hose on top and we were good to go.

2003 Discovery 125K with high miles service complete.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Winching
Received 201 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by borchera
We took the PCV hose off and I saw only the little hole on top of the sleeve sticking out of the valve cover. I was questioning how in the world is the new separator going to fit in this sleeve. As we were replacing the valve cover gaskets, I though the separator must be reached under the valve cover and I was thinking there is no way we are going to pull a valve cover every six months. To our surprise there was a cover plate inside the valve cover so there was no way of reaching the separator from inside the valve cover.

On a hunch, I use adjustable plies and very carefully twisted near the top of the metal sleeve and low and behold the sleeve popped out of the valve cover and we could see the separator inside.

The new separator did not go in easily and we had to tap the separator into place.

Put the sleeve back into the valve cover and the hose on top and we were good to go.

2003 Discovery 125K with high miles service complete.
This is exactly the same set up I have - '04 DII. A metal cap on top of the pass side VC vent tube with about an 1/8" hole in the center. The cap appears to be about 1/8" thick on top – same OD as vent tube.

Reading up on oil leaks last night and I came across this thread. Ran out to the garage and disconnected the hose that runs from the upper IM to the pass side VC to see if I could blow air into or suck out of the VC - nothing.

I tried to pull the abovementioned cap off - it won't budge.

I'll hose it with carb cleaner tonight to see if can clear it. If not, I may pull the VC to get the damn thing off.

Can’t wait to see what effect clearing this will have on the leaks from the front and rear seals…