Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with 2nd row seat back not locking in up position

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 09:07 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with 2nd row seat back not locking in up position

Hi all.
Disco 2 TD5 5 seater.
The bigger of the two second row seats had been folded forward to put a big load in. In a hurry, to put it back up, I pushed it back and the upper part would not move back up. Stupidly, instead of making sure the floor-level lever/strap thing was completely down and locked, I just applied a bit more force to the seat back. It moved up a bit under protest, until it dawned on me what I was doing. I then put my hand down the back of the seat, pushed the strap/handle thing down, locked the seat base down then was able to push the back upright, but, you've guessed it, it no longer locks into position.

To pass the MOT, I removed both rear seats. But I understand this will not be possible next year, or even this? (Having checked I am still a bit hazy on this)

I have trawled the internet but only found a rather naff instructable in German, I think, with some dodgy pics.

Due to the seats' propensity for having the locking mechanism sticking I am sure I am not the first to have this problem. I have tried taking various bits of plastic off and spraying what mechanism I can find with WD 40 etc, but it still will not lock up. Can anyone help with how to strip it down, fix it and put it back together? Typically it is the bigger (and heavier) one of the two! Would be enormously grateful for any help! To be clear I am NOT talking about the third row of seats, I don't have them, I have the really useful side lockers instead. It is the row next to the two rear passenger side doors.