Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro's, Con's, Reliability, Longevity????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:16 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's, Con's, Reliability, Longevity????????

Hi Folks,
We had an emergency a few hundred miles from home with a loaded horse trailer and a LR Discovery was the only rental available with a hitch. We rented a Discovery series II 2003 w/ 5 cyl diesel andautomatic trans. Couldn't believe the way it handled the trailer and how little fuel it used and am seriously considering buying something similiar. All of the room inside was a real treat also. Can't/don't want toafford a new one, but here in Germany the 5-6 year old ones are reasonable. I'd be satisfied (I think) with an older one also, but know nothing about them.Do these things hold up long if maintained regular, or are they programmed to break? The guy that we rented from said that he maintains Land Rovers and fixes everything else, but I guess he may tell a potential customer anything. I'd sure appreciate it if someone could take a few to tell me some up's and down's and some "coulda, shoulda, woulda's".

Thanks for your time,

Dave

Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Pro's, Con's, Reliability, Longevity????????

Dave,
Since you are in Germany, you have diesels as well as gas versions to pick from. I would drive and older Disco 2, like a 99 and see what you think of them.
Rovers have little glitches that can show up, typical English vehicle, buty for the most truck, they are great vehicles.
If you look at diesels and need more power, you can up grade to a larger intercooler and even chip the engine, depending on your power requirements.
Good luck

Old 01-27-2008, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pro's, Con's, Reliability, Longevity????????

Thank You! I just noticed that it has permanent 4WD (or all WD traction control?) How long have they had that? I'm asking because I put a lot of distance on a vehicle and would be interested in a much older one for myself, but a newer one for my wife (depending on which car gets replaced). I like the idea of the diesel because of the economy and power (I was driving a VW Passat wagon with 120HP and the discovery diesel has 100 HP and is much heavier than the VW but handled the trailer like it wasn't even there). I see quite a few around 1990 that are in the range that I would consider for myself. Are these vehicles still worth anything, and/or have the same features as the newer ones? We were playing around with the rental and I think I want one.

Thanks for your time,

Dave