Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Door Subwoofer Bad Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SDinDS,

We must think alike...LOL. My subs have been bad for a couple years. I had disconnected them to keep down the rattle. I was in Walmart about a month ago and saw the "cheap" speakers you mentioned. I am definitely not a music nut, listen mostly to talk radio, but decided to try the $19.00 units as they were the correct size. The speakers went in just as the original speakers and sound great to my unrefined ears. I will never impress the kids with my "booming" bass, but they work fine for an old man.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Thumbs up

The rear subwoofers went out on my 1999 DI about a year ago. I wasn't able to find any suitable replacements that dropped right in. I bought a couple of JL Audio W-0s but they were a little larger than the stock set. I was also skeptical that the stock amp wouldn't drive the JLs. I ended up finding a set of DII subs from a wreck at the local recycling yard. I used the DI sub amp and they sounded great.

Fast forward a year. I started getting a strange sound coming from the rear subs on start up. Sounded like a cat dying. I guess that it was the amp giving up the ghost. I took off the cover and found that the subs had petered out. The foam had dissenegrated.

I made a trip to the wrecking yards again today. I found one yard with 10 Discoverys, 3 DIs and 7 DIIs all in pretty good shape. I found a great looking set of subs out of a 2002 DII with engine compartment fire damage and an amp out of a 98 DI. Paid $30 for the subs and the amp.

Got the home, hooked them up and bingo, work great. While at the wrecking yard, I also picked up a set for cupholder inserts, a wheel center cap (somebody stole one off of our DII) and brake handle boot in perfect shape and a DI cruise control ECU. I also got a DI seat switch, passenger side. My passenger side seat back wasn't moving forward. Swapped out the switch and found that the switch wasn't the issue. The wires in the plug were the source of the problem. If I pull on the wire that controls the seat back the switch worked, guess I found my next project.

Got the subs, the amp, cup holder inserts, center cap, the parking brake boot the seat switch and the cruise control ECU all for $80, the shopping was free. The sales guy didn't do me any favors with the prices but all in all, not bad. I was amazed at the condition of most of the trucks that they had, one of the DIs looked like it came off of the showroom floor. Most the the headliners were even in like new shape. The only thing on my list that I didn't find was a cargo area mat for my DII.

Phil

DI 1999
DII 2001

Old 03-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Phil... where do you live? i am going to rape those D2's in that pick and pull

Old 03-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

San Diego, the yards were on the border. La Paz, Tapitio #3, Silverado all had several Discoverys. La Paz had the most complete trucks. They had an 02 with an engine fire that had lots of hard parts. Silverado had a 2004 that was missing the engine. Parts Heaven had some too. I can't remember the street that it is on. Most of the interior parts had some damage. Send me a pm and we can talk. Phil