Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear View Mirror Backup Camera Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 823 Likes on 600 Posts
Default Rear View Mirror Backup Camera Monitors

Do any of you have a backup camera and monitor system installed in your DII that you like? My wife is very interested in adding a backup camera system to help keep our 16-year old son from bumping into things. I would like to do it without adding another screen in the front of the car (in addition to the Ultra Gauge and GPS).

Magellan makes a wireless backup camera that is compatible with some of its GPS units but reviews are mixed and it's reportedly next to useless at night. If this option worked well I'd replace the GPS now in the truck with a compatible Magellan unit and be done.

I don't look forward to dropping the headliner again to install a wired combination but I'm willing to do so to get better results than with a wireless system.

That brings me to the subject - rear view mirror monitors. Are any of you using these? Are you happy with them? And what about mounting them? I prefer not to get one that simply clips over the factory Land Rover mirror.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

This is what I have in mine:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/au...ies-etc-59568/

The Alpine camera is fitted on the rear license plate bracket. It is rigged up to our Kenwood DVD unit. The license plate is illuminated by white LED lights and provides ambient lighting at night.

We really like it as we always have little kids playing in our driveway.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I have the magie wireless set up on one of my work turds. it works fine but does lack, great low light capabilities. works fine for hooking up trailers. that is, mainly, what i have it for and I have work light back there, for dark. it works, but it is not as nice as the ones in our other vehicles.
I think it is worth the price, but it one of those, "you get what you pay for" items