Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Wires Without Removing IM

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem wires

I am replacing my wires and noticed that the oem wires which have "rists suppression 2015
silicone" on them have a little white ring on the coil side of the connector. Talked with the parts guy at a local rover shop he did not know what they are for but they are different from other leads I have seen. Anyone know what this is for and is it on the magnecors
or is this not needed or do you pop them off and put them on new wires. Looks like a seal or possibly an alignment for post inside coil. Pic included you may need to enlarge.

Attached Thumbnails  Replace Wires Without Removing IM-photo0065b2.jpg  
Old 04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the liberty of updating the image/diagram someone posted in this thread (I don't know who created it) for two reasons:
  1. The closeup of the coil was as if seen "through" the firewall. That's not how we'd see it if under the hood, so I reversed it and made the numbers more obvious.
  2. The top/bottom rows, on the diagram on the left, were reversed (top was on bottom and vice versa) - as pointed out by another member in this thread - so I corrected that layout.

I attached a PDF I made of the updated diagram if you'd like to print it easier or download it for your files.

I hope this is of some use.

-Anthony

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DII-ignition-diagram-revised.pdf (130.8 KB, 787 views)

Last edited by Antmen; 04-23-2010 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (03-17-2016)
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice diagram dude! Freaking awesome.

I had my mechanic do the wires. Paid $250 for labor.

Used STI wires and Champion Platinum plugs.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My roommate and I did it yesterday, roughly 3.5 hours. I have no mechanical inclination, and he's never worked on a LR before, but we did it and it's running great. only cost me parts plus lunch. Went with STI 8mm and champion plugs. These were recommended to me by the guys of at The Shop (Norcross, GA). Maybe in another 60k, I'll do the magnecore and 4+'s. We actually didn't 'remove' anything, except to put in the new K&N air filter. Thanks so much Mike for all the help, and everyone else's along the way.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear

Wonderful info here guys...but I have a quick question. My Throttle body was leaking (repaired yesterday). At the same time, I have a misfire and check engine light. The code was p1300 and cylinders 4 and 7 misfire. I was just going to replace the plugs and wires, but my Rover mechanic said its probably the coil packs. Should I start with the plugs and wires, or go ahead and replace the coil packs while im in there? I just don't want to have to do the work twice. Also, he told me not to go with the 8mm wires? Any suggestions? BTW 2001 D2, 51k miles. THanks guys.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Drifting

I'm glad I found this post. Thanks to everyone.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

Very much appreciated, job done following the instructions and images which proved invaluable. I could not remove the tube so worked around it in a loose state and was able to see and replace all wires on the coil packs. I also removed the rubber bonnet [hood] seal and the, wiring loom clips which gave a bit more space.

Darren
--
2003 UK spec. Discovery II 4.0L V8 Auto ES 74k miles

Old 05-22-2010, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear
Default changing wires and plugs on 2003 disco II

Jaguar/Range Rover in Annapolis, Maryland wanted $1,100 to change the plugs and wires. I laughed when I was told "well this is not a Honda Dealer". these are the same people that wanted approx $ 700 to change front and rear brake pads. obviously I spent $60 and a couple hours of my time instead. True stealership.

I dislike getting f**ked by these aloof types.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (02-20-2020)
Old 05-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Overlanding

It's been asked in this thread already, but will this method work for removing / replacing the ignition coils as well? Will I have sufficient room or will the intake manifold have to come off??

I've just been told that I need to replace coils, wires & plugs on my Disco ($1800) so am in the research phase before I get my hands dirty...

Old 05-27-2010, 10:32 AM
2nd Gear
Default spark plug reinstall

I was changing plugs on my wifes 2003 disco 2 and cant get one of the plugs to catch a thread when putting in new one . tried every angle and still no go. plug hole threads appear to have some debris on them which i am trying to clean out with a dental instrument. plugs were hard to get out and this happened on plug 6 of the 8. advice anyone?
Henry

Quick Reply: Replace Wires Without Removing IM