Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the airbox flex hose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
If you're deeper than your hood you've:
Gone deeper than all your breathers
Gone deeper than your ECUs
Gone deeper than your spark plugs
Gone deeper than the battery
Gone deeper than your MAF sensor

While it's possible if you've maintained a wake, I would never do it, nor would I suggest it. You'll only see me doing that sort of thing in an older diesel Defender...
Yes, except you're telling this to someone who has done it before in their V8 Discovery and knows it can be done. Keep a wake, and keep traction, and you're not going to have an issue, despite how obvious it is that you should avoid doing it.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I never said it couldn't be done, only that I wouldn't suggest it and won't myself. I said if water is at that hose(which would mean it's up to that INSIDE the engine bay), you're in trouble. If you have kept a wake and momentum there's little chance that the water level is that high inside the engine compartment.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Use a quart size oil bottle.

I know I dredged this up from the bowls of the forum but can anyone confirm the usage of a trimmed down oil bottle as a close fit for the air box to fender flex hose? The idea is by far the best I've seen but I didn't see any follow up or pics to prove the concept.

My disintegrated while I was installing my snorkel and tape, regardless of stickiness, isn't a permanent enough fix for me. Not when water entry is the main issue

Old 04-30-2017, 12:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I used flex seal on mine in the rattle can. Created an internal frame with paper plates and sprayed a few coates. After that, I took the paper plates out and actually got the flex seal in the pint can't and painted the crap out of it. It's waterproof as hell now. If you don't want to do that, use some cordura nylon or carhart style material the wrap it and do the same thing. I taped the ends on mine off and submerged it in water overnight and not a drop came through

Old 04-30-2017, 12:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I had actually considered the flex seal approach! But I'm impatient and decided to try the oil bottle, with good results. Will post pics of finished product after its painted.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
I know I dredged this up from the bowls of the forum but can anyone confirm the usage of a trimmed down oil bottle as a close fit for the air box to fender flex hose? The idea is by far the best I've seen but I didn't see any follow up or pics to prove the concept.

My disintegrated while I was installing my snorkel and tape, regardless of stickiness, isn't a permanent enough fix for me. Not when water entry is the main issue
Still running it to this day. Had planned on doing something different, but it works to well, soo....

Old 04-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Still running it to this day. Had planned on doing something different, but it works to well, soo....

Good follow up. Thought I would add to this topic. I used exterior window flashing tape from Lowes. It is almost as wide as the length of the hose. Overlap the seam. Cheap, super sticky on one side and flexible!

Old 04-30-2017, 11:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Neat idea. I replaced my whole intake when this became an issue for me, but had I left the factory setup I always thought that a silicon turbo coupling of the appropriate size would be the perfect replacement. You'd just have to measure the circumference and calculate what diameter coupler you would need. Should be like a $10 fix.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Neat idea. I replaced my whole intake when this became an issue for me, but had I left the factory setup I always thought that a silicon turbo coupling of the appropriate size would be the perfect replacement. You'd just have to measure the circumference and calculate what diameter coupler you would need. Should be like a $10 fix.
This would have been my preferred method, had I not been impatient to the extreme. Plus the bottle was free.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

​​​​​​Good to see that it worked! I believe it's a viable solution. The section of the bottle is even short enough that it really doesn't need any structure added, it physically can't collapse unless it comes apart from the air box or fender piece. I'm going to test it by partially blocking the snorkel opening to see if the engine can actually put enough vacuum on it to even narrow the opening.

Quick Reply: Replacing the airbox flex hose?