Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Fuel Injector Seals-need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphamale
Andy considering the age of your D2 I would say change the injector seals in any case. I had those dreaded codes too on my 1999 D2 and spent time and money tracking them down. Finally dawned on me that the only place I was over looking was the injector seals. New seal cured everything.

Remove plenum, disconnect the fuel rail and clean area around injectors before removing them. Follow RAVE and remove injectors and their seals.

I found, after breaking one and having to buy a second hand replacement injector, that the heat shields on the end of them is brittle and care is needed in removing the old seals. I decided that it was less risky if I used a sharp craft Knife to cut the old seals off.

With the new seals being a little more pliable it is easier to fit them, but do take care and lubricate them. If you break a heat shield you can't use the injector as the seal will just burn away.
I agree with cutting off the old seals. It's a o-ring retainer not a heat shield. The injector is not in the combustion chamber, so I don't think it will burn up the o-ring. I broke a piece of the retainer off and I have not had an issue 1 year later.

The retainer is replaceable: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ld-kits-72596/

Last edited by acamato; 06-04-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

get MAF cleaner and make sure it is stone cold and do not turn the truck back on until it has completely dried

Old 06-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, just finished cleaning MAF with Brake Cleaner after driving the truck home from work (just kidding, I used MAF cleaner on a dead cold Disco). That MAF looked very clean pre-cleaning if that means anything?

Alphamale, I have a feeling those injector seals are gonna get changed, but for $7 and 5min of my time, it's worth a shot at cleaning the MAF.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Given where you live you may need a new fuel rail. When I replaced the injectors on my '95 in '07, which was always a GA car, the cups were rusted enough I could never get them all to seal again.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:01 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We are fighting the same thing Andy. I too am doing the intake and o-rings this weekend. Tried the carb cleaner and no changes. Not sure why some owners don't realize that 6 of those 8 injectors are buried under the intake and no way to spray them. It did stumble a little when I sprayed under the intake, but barely changed. Either way, age of car, seals get brittle and leak anyways. It's due.

Damn check light is keeping me from registering too.

The following users liked this post:
Andy2Rover (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 07:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Those of us owner that dont know two of the injectors are covered, have heard of vacuum tubing once again spelled VACUUM TUBING. You slide the tubing under the manifold and spray the cleaner in the tubing

Last edited by drowssap; 06-29-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Mudding

FYI, got the intake mani gasket kit on ebay. It's an 8 piece kit which includes the valve covers. Gonna remove the peeling paint off the covers and spray some engine clear over the bare aluminum.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MPDano
FYI, got the intake mani gasket kit on ebay. It's an 8 piece kit which includes the valve covers. Gonna remove the peeling paint off the covers and spray some engine clear over the bare aluminum.

Thanks for the input MPDano! What injector seal kit did you get?

Old 06-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Andy2Rover
Thanks for the input MPDano! What injector seal kit did you get?
Off eBay as well. $5.49 shipped for 2 o-rings. I bought 8 kits.

GB Injectors Fuel Injector Seal Kit 8-008

GB Injectors Fuel Injector Seal Kit 8 008 | eBay

Old 06-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MPDano
We are fighting the same thing Andy. I too am doing the intake and o-rings this weekend. Tried the carb cleaner and no changes. Not sure why some owners don't realize that 6 of those 8 injectors are buried under the intake and no way to spray them. It did stumble a little when I sprayed under the intake, but barely changed. Either way, age of car, seals get brittle and leak anyways. It's due.

Damn check light is keeping me from registering too.
Let us know how it goes, and if your CEL clears

Quick Reply: Replacing Fuel Injector Seals-need advice