Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:50 AM
wa
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Soon Light

Hi,

I posted here a couple years ago. I have a Disco II 2003 had the engine replaced by Landrover Last January thanks to the service bulletin posted here relating to the oil pump failure. Now I took the suv in for a 15k maintenace at the dealer and they did between a 7500 and 15k maintenance and assured me that it is running great and just a couple things need to be done:

Drive belt
Injector system
Fuel induction service

I had them replace the drive belt only. About a week and a half later(300 miles later) Last Friday I see the Service Engine Soon light come on. When I turned the SUV on that morning it sounded strange and kinda rattling I was down the street and went immediatly back home and drove my other car. Called the dealer and they told me its fine just make sure the gas cap is on properly but it is fine to drive and if the light is still on by Wednesday to give him a call.I got home that night checked the oil, removed and placed that gas cap back on and turned it on and the Service Engine Soon light was still on of course. My girlfriend even heard the weird noise so I haven't driven it. Sorry I can't be more specific on the noise I'm not a mechanic. I'm thinking they did a poor job replacing the drive belt and something is jacked up? Is there any thoughts before I call the dealer today or tomorrow. The SUV was fine before I took it to them, soI would think theyare liable.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Service Engine Soon Light

wa, I also have a 2003 d2... it currently has just over 63k on it and have not seen any indications yet of an oil pump failure... Can I ask when your truck was produced by the date on the drivers door... my vin # is right in the middle of the pack for the oil pump failure and also, did LR replace your engine under warranty or was it out of warranty and they stood behind the issue... Thanks for any input.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I want to know what they wanted to do to the injector system.
As for the induction cleaning, as long as you are using permium gas you will be fine on that for another 15k.
As for the rattle, drive it back to them.
For the Service Engine Soon...that is a whole different light from the Check Engine Light whichc is the light that will come on with a loose gas cap, problem with the engine, etc.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:45 PM
wa
6th Gear

Cessna310Guy, I didn't drive the truck of course so I don't know when it was produced. I can let you know later tonight. My truck was 1 month out of warranty when the engine died from the oil pump issue noted. All work was done at the dealer. When I spoke with Landrover they first said there were no recalls for this vin and said sorry there is nothing we can do. I told her about the service bulletin and the # they then started a case and looked into it.They paid for everything except the rental car, lol I was so happy, but now am dealing with this issue. I took it there to do the oil changes and maintenance because they replaced the engine and this is what saved me that all the work was done by the dealer. Couldn't hurt if there was something wrong now with this new engine better they find it them some other mechanic then they would claim they may have caused it.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the reply, I would like to know when it was built and also how many miles were on it when the oil pump took the massive dump... As for the noise coming from the truck, I would make certain that the shop who had it last looked at it and you need to be present to see what they do or how they react... I try and do most everything myself on my vehicles simply that I trust my work not being a mechanic. I just changed my valley pan gasket and several other minor things to my 03 2 weeks ago... here are some pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12123/BB5255C0DF594FF99DEF718862C873F2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What was your parts list and how long did it take you to change it out?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Three Wheeling

I originally bought the head gasket kit from atlantic british thinking it was a head gasket blown... I think in total I used from that kit, a few small o ring's for various parts and the new valley pan gasket and new valve cover seals... Total time was around 14-15 hrs. If I had to go there again I could probably cut the time close to half... I did however discover ( facing the engine ) the back right bolt holding the intake manifold on was only finger tight, so I am not sure if it was the gasket rather the manifold no longer torqued to spec.