Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheared off the trans drain plug?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sheared off the trans drain plug?!

Leave it to me to break something odd. I was changing the oil tonight, and figured as long as I was under there I would give it one more trans fluid change so overall I would have mostly new fluid in there (2nd time in 4K). So I drain her, and go to torque down the bottom drain plug and right at the final turn where I just got a click out of the torque wrench it gets super easy to turn. I lower the wrench to see the end of the plug still attached to it. UGH. Somehow must have been weakened by the previous owner because it was TIGHT when I went to do it last time (as was the oil...took all my might with a breaker bar). This time it was easy off as I used the torque wrench (11lbs) to put it on, but ka-pow, shears off going back on.
So, what to do here? I was hoping to just buy a new plug at the dealer and use a wrench to get the old one out. I tried for a while, but just can't get the traction/leverage to get it off. So, if I drop the pan, would the drain plug stick in there far enough to get pliers on it to twist and back it out?
Any ideas will be helpful here as I can't think of much to do. It will stay in the garage until I can figure something out, as it is leaking a tad of trans fluid through the center of the hole.
For your viewing pleasure:
Name:  utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNTA2LTAwMDk4LmpwZw.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  106.1 KBName:  utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNTA2LTAwMDk5LmpwZw.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  80.9 KB

Old 05-07-2011, 01:34 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drill it and use an easy-out. It should be easy to remove unless it was cross-threaded since there is no shoulder to hold pressure.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by thospb
Drill it and use an easy-out. It should be easy to remove unless it was cross-threaded since there is no shoulder to hold pressure.
That is what I'm thinking. Just need to really clean out the pan after. 100% not cross threaded so I should be clear. Just need the time to attack it and the new gasket and plug. Always something!

Old 05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JB weld it. Just kidding...
That sucks.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Bundu
JB weld it. Just kidding...
That sucks.
LMAO. Don't think that didn't cross my mind I'll pick up a new one and tackle it sometime this week. I was going to do the diffs again, but decided against it until I get those brass plugs.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:41 AM
cdm
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good reason to drop the pan.. but drill the plug first so it's not an oily mess.

Mine came out with no strain, which was good after 3 of the crossmember bolts stripped and had to be cut out (19lbs torque yea right. somebody has been there with an impact!). im also doing the tc lower plate reseal so crossmember had to come off. if anybody wonder why im bringing up the crossbrace

Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 easy out bit and drill. You can do it, just work slow. I broke one of the aluminum pan bolts putting the tranny pan back on and used an easy out to get the bolt out. Just had to work like a surgeon - have to be sure only to drill into and back out the bolt, not to touch the inner thread. Make sure you have plenty of light so you can see.

And yeah cdm, those crossbrace bolts are a pita...most of time they are rusted. I hated removing that thing when I resealed my TC. lol

Last edited by sloan74; 05-09-2011 at 08:01 AM.