Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipped sleeve and a little bit of high school science

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by matt3502
Okay, to answer all questions at once:
1) Pinning the liners is not an option as the block is still in the car.
2) I'm going to use the Elring gaskets to put it back together
3) The dry ice was removed between each pressing to allow the sleeve and cylinder to come back up to room temp. Reload with dry ice and repeat.
4) The original gasket was dented a bit on the side facing the sleeve, No damage to the head itself.
Got bad news for you. The sleeve is still going to move and make noise. It will just take it some time to hammer through the head gasket fire ring. Also, If you cant drop the sleeve in, its not cold enough/block not hot enough. You cant really use the same sleeve since you have to weld a bar to it and pull it out with a slide hammer. Also if your sleeve is that lose, the block is cracked under the sleeve and you're probably ****ed. 3/3 cracked blocks I've found were center cylinder driver side. 90% of the loose sleeves I find are center cylinder drivers side. The good news is, you can pin the sleeve without taking the engine out. You have to take the exhaust out. Y pipe and cross brace. But if your engine is cracked, its all for naught. This is what you HAVE to do right now. Make block off plates for the coolant passages on both sides, use a 2 dollar harbor freight inner tube for gaskets. block off the water pump holes also. Pressurize the block to 70psi or so and spray all over that sleeve with soapy water. I can almost promise you there is a crack under that sleeve.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Also, if you have a clean cylinder in 3/4/5/6, you're ****ed. Unless the head is cracked, there is NO way for coolant to get in there except for if the block is cracked.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:34 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Got bad news for you: It worked. If you had followed the full thread, you would know that my plan was to get this back on the road for a while not another 100,000 miles. The dry ice worked perfectly. When I was done, the sleeve was flush with the surface of the block. The block is not cracked as it has been up and running for the better part of three weeks now. I put in the money, time and effort I wanted to put in.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 05:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

How is that bad news for me? Are you trying to prove me wrong or something? I hope it's fixed, I don't want trouble for people. "Got bad news for you: It worked." But in the last post you talk about how it is not fixed. "The tick associated with a slipping sleeve is about 90% less noisy than it was prior to project so it appears that my push down on of the sleeve in #4 cylinder was somewhat successful. At this point, the remaining problem seems to be with the Driver side O2 sensor"

You could have just put 2 bottles of blue devil in it for 100 bucks and it would have been as "fixed" as it is now right?

"Got bad news for you. The sleeve is still going to move and make noise. It will just take it some time to hammer through the head gasket fire ring." I mean....

Last edited by RoverMasterTech; 05-05-2021 at 05:44 PM.