Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts
Default DIY Hi-Lift Jack Mounts ($10)

So here we have my DIY Hi-Lift Jack Mounts. Super cheap, super easy (assuming you have access to a welder). These will mount on any piece of tubing you desire whether it be roof rails (my choice), brush guard, or anything else. Go to your local hardware store and buy two 1/2" bolts that are 2" long, two regular nuts to go on them, and two wing nuts. Then go to your local auto parts store and buy two exhaust clamps that are the right size to fit whatever piece of tubing you are mounting to. I have the '04 style roof rails so I used 2.5" exhaust clamps. Finally, take the bolt and weld it to the clamp as pictured. I recommend painting after with a decent paint because exhaust clamps will rust if they're not painted. Then put on the regular 1/2" nuts, plop on the hi-lift, and tighten it down with the wing nuts. This cost me around $10 and a couple hours said and done.

Name:  6Aqk7Go.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  483.3 KB

Name:  v3EW3vV.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  551.8 KB

Name:  Dgf4VrG.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  582.2 KB

Name:  UcHzVaH.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  869.2 KB

Old 10-30-2015, 10:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

this is some good ideas here and so isn't all the links and mods mr Moto has been linked together on his page,
is they some reason the super moderators can not make these sticky?
I thought the whole reason for doing DYI mods was so they would be kept together under sticky so as not to waste hours searching

Last edited by drowssap; 10-30-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks Drow, I try to keep these updated with pictures and everything so pretty much anyone can easily follow them. Mondo's page is great too. I agree that there should be several things added to the "Write ups" , "How To's" , and "MUST Reads" sticky, lots of guys have been posting some really neat stuff lately.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Default DIY Schrader Valve Tool (Free)

I titled this one free. I'm assuming you have an angle grinder, thin metal cut off disc, and an old flat head screwdriver.

This is suuuper simple. Take your angle grinder with a thin metal cut off disc, cut a line straight down the center of the head, shave the sides of the head down as little as you can with the end still being able to fit down inside the threads of the tire valve. Here's a picture of mine. Be careful removing your tire valves (Schrader Valve) because if the tire is inflated and you pull out too quickly after the final thread releases then it can go flying and you'll have to find it or buy a new one.

Name:  Z59il6V.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  pbfKf0n.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  42.4 KB

Last edited by Alex_M; 11-27-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Valve Cover Bolts with Allen Head ($10)

So I needed to do a little valve cover and injector R&R and I was informed that you are supposed to replace the valve cover bolts when you do head gaskets, which I did not do. Not wanting to stick with the stupid 12 pt 8mm head bolts, I drove to lowes and set upon a quest to find a better replacement. I was surprised to find that the bolt fit in NONE of the metric size holes to tell me what thread size the bolt was. It did, however, fit in one of the FREEDOM UNIT size holes perfectly. I ended up with four (I didn't get the inside bolts yet, only the outside.) 1/4-20*1-1/4 size bolts with allen heads, and they're stainless steel so they're beautiful compared to the stock bolts.

Name:  6j6tIJ3.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  cnN8ZoW.jpg
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  aIxKVSu.jpg
Size:  67.7 KB

The following 3 users liked this post by Alex_M:
JUKE179r (07-29-2019), mollusc (08-19-2019), Toran (04-11-2021)
Old 12-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice! Keep 'em coming!

Old 12-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks coors! Will do!

Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
So I needed to do a little valve cover and injector R&R and I was informed that you are supposed to replace the valve cover bolts when you do head gaskets, which I did not do. Not wanting to stick with the stupid 12 pt 8mm head bolts, I drove to lowes and set upon a quest to find a better replacement. I was surprised to find that the bolt fit in NONE of the metric size holes to tell me what thread size the bolt was. It did, however, fit in one of the FREEDOM UNIT size holes perfectly. I ended up with four (I didn't get the inside bolts yet, only the outside.) 1/4-20*1-1/4 size bolts with allen heads, and they're stainless steel so they're beautiful compared to the stock bolts.

First, the coloring in your post is inspiring! But that pales to the find. Good one, Alex! I actually need some right now.

I noticed that when you look at the valve cover bolts online, the slightly more expensive ones have an o ring at the head. My valve covers aren't leaking at the moment (and I have learned not to touch things that aren't leaking) but I had to cannibalize the bolts off my spare set, so this is timely. Thanks again. I hate those little star head stock bolts. Off to Lowes. The inner shorter ones are about 3/4s the length of the longer ones. I've been known to grind bolts to the right length.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Has anyone done a definitive blower motor upgrade to the Pontiac one? I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years but nothing super concise with pictures. If not I'll gather my pictures and post. It is a very worthy and cheap upgrade.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Camel Trophy

Yea, online the lengths look different bit I didn't have a set of inner ones I could swap, so I'll probably just buy a couple lengths to try when I do it.

I noticed that O ring too. I think a little RTV on the gasket should suffice since it does go around both sides of the bolt, but I'd say it would t be too hard to go back to plumbing and find an o-ring to fit somewhere around the brass fittings.

As for the Pontiac blower, I've done some research on that but never could find anything definitive either. I'll do some research on it and see what I can turn up.

Quick Reply: Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)