Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

x2 on the socket head Allen screw, i have be changing them out as i go.
i found a complete motor set for like $50, so now everything gets a stainless Allens with antisieze

Old 12-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Yea, online the lengths look different bit I didn't have a set of inner ones I could swap, so I'll probably just buy a couple lengths to try when I do it.

I noticed that O ring too. I think a little RTV on the gasket should suffice since it does go around both sides of the bolt, but I'd say it would t be too hard to go back to plumbing and find an o-ring to fit somewhere around the brass fittings.

As for the Pontiac blower, I've done some research on that but never could find anything definitive either. I'll do some research on it and see what I can turn up.
I don't think the o ring is critical. . Mine don't have them and don't leak. But then I may have torqued mine more than 6 pounds or whatever rave calls for. I did the Pontiac mod. Major air improvement for about 50 bucks. I'll post it. I've been leeching your ideas for over a year so it's only fair.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I don't think the o ring is critical. . Mine don't have them and don't leak. But then I may have torqued mine more than 6 pounds or whatever rave calls for. I did the Pontiac mod. Major air improvement for about 50 bucks. I'll post it. I've been leeching your ideas for over a year so it's only fair.
Yea, I agree.

Awesome, I thought you were looking for more info on it. Cant wait to see your thread, and since this is stickied now I'm going to add a section in the index for other people's mods I like. I'll add yours to it.

Say, Charlie, do you remember where you posted that long list of mods you'd like me to work on? There were quite a few I really liked the idea of, but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited by Alex_M; 12-02-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Baja

Alex,

i appreciate you keeping track of this stuff but why isn't it in a tech section like the Disco1 and LR3 sections.

both of them have nice clearly marked tech sections, with links to all the articles.

keep up the good work

Old 12-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Baja

Alex,

i appreciate you keeping track of this stuff but why isn't it in a tech section like the Disco1 and LR3 sections.

both of them have nice clearly marked tech sections, with links to all the articles.

keep up the good work

at least you rated a sticky

Old 12-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Camel Trophy

I actually didn't even know I was getting stickied until it was done.

I can see your point, but this isn't that different than those. Mine still has an index of my mods within the thread and links to my larger mods and other peoples mods outside the thread. This also gives us a way to add more links to a stickied page without bothering a mod to edit an old post by an inactive user.

Thanks Drow!

Old 12-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Yea, I agree.

Awesome, I thought you were looking for more info on it. Cant wait to see your thread, and since this is stickied now I'm going to add a section in the index for other people's mods I like. I'll add yours to it.

Say, Charlie, do you remember where you posted that long list of mods you'd like me to work on? There were quite a few I really liked the idea of, but I can't seem to find it.
Wow! My wish list?! I'd forgotten about it. I'll find it and post a link here.

EDIT: Found it. WHAT A LIST! I must have taken someone's medication that day.

I changed my mind on the "Disco Lights in the Headliner" and "Lambo doors". The thread is here.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 12-02-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok Charlie, so I've gone down the list and here are the ones I plan on doing, have already done, or might do if I just happen to get a hankering. This is some great inspiration! Each is marked.

Reserve Gas Tank Yea, probably.

Hidden air compressor! Definitely!

More places to charge things! Definitely!

Better bolts for cross members! Almost Definitely!

Heat reflective roof! Done!

Slimline 12v roof air conditioner! Done! Ish. Do radiator fans in the sun roof count? Those will be posted when I finally get switches for them hooked up.

Relocate air con dripples away from cats! Maybe!

Perfect toolkit and a place to put it! I'll post what tools I keep. Local army navy store has some great deals on big metal boxes.

Motorized step! No time soon, but I was actually considering this one today.

Speedometer correction for bigger tires! Gears!

Manual windows! I have wanted these for quite some time. Might make it work some time.

Inline fuel pump! Definitely! When I do my custom gas tank after bobbing my rear.

A real fuel filter! Definitely!

Top mounted spare with no roof rack! Make up a couple cross rails for the roof rails, weld a bar between them, weld a threaded spike to the bar welded between the cross bars so it runs up the center of the rim, make a huge a** washer and get a wing nut, drill a hole for a cotter pin over the wing nut.

Some use for the ridiculous front roof rails! See above.

Overhead console with switches. In progress!

Heads up display! Torque (the OBD2 app) has this feature.

Perfect cheap jack for lifted and a place to put it! Done!

Cheap good looking snorkel! In progress!

Coils relocate! How do coilovers sound?

Ram air! Ok, you want to see something really embarrassing? I made this abomination back when I didn't know what I was doing.

Better air con! It appears you've already done this!

Cheap lift over 3 inches! Done! But a little controversial. Works perfect for me!

Sound insulation to make me feel quieter! Reflectix in the roof, peel and seal in all the doors!

Weight reduction (truck not me)! Bob the truck!

Backup lights that blind people behind me and shine through tint! Done!

More power! Turbo!

More gas mileage! Headers, de-cat, bigger exhaust pipe!

The perfect cat delete without getting caught! In progress!

Side out exhaust through quarterpanel. Cut a hole, use a 45 degree bend!

Seat swaps in the front! Its moderately likely!

How to make antennas work on the non metallic top! There's a factory antennae plug!

Washer nozzles that actually spray or a way to get the wax out of them!!!! I don't have washers!

Do it yourself dual batteries! The juices are flowing now. Definitely!

Lights. More lights! Definitely!

Water sealing all electricals! Highly Likely!

Solar panels! Definitely!

Any part that can be substituted from other makes (Hyundai MAF or idle whatsits, Chevy thermostat--got that one--, Ford Springs or shocks, etc). Always!

Homemade diff and steering rod protection. Probably!

Homemade sliders (Disco Mike has these and plans for them)! Definitely!

Homemade exoskeleton! How about an internal roll cage?!

Cheap fender flares! Choose a make and model, cut the right size hole!

Old 12-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok Charlie, so I've gone down the list and here are the ones I plan on doing, have already done, or might do if I just happen to get a hankering. This is some great inspiration! Each is marked.
Perfect! I will monitor your progress closely! I like exclamation marks!

I figured out the cross member bolts. I'll find my order and give the specs. I got grade 8 or 10.9 with 13mm flanged heads. I'll find it. Much better, especially if you tinker, which I do... American meaning of tinker.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, goodness knows I tinker, and I definitely need some new bolts for mine before I swap my transfer case and do my exhaust.

Edit: I'm felling a little lucky, and I've had a few drinks, so I'm going to make a guess. Are the bolts a 8mm size with a 1.5 thread?

I'd like to note, I've never actually pulled one and I'm guessing based on head size.

Last edited by Alex_M; 12-02-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)