Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:06 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unmetered air will hurt fuel trims.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by synergyautp
Unmetered air will hurt fuel trims.
Are you referring to the filters on the valve covers, if so, they will not let unmetered air into the air intake. The guys are plugging the vacuum lines that evacuate the oil fumes and installing filters in its place. Basically eliminating the positive crankcase ventilation system.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
So I needed to do a little valve cover and injector R&R and I was informed that you are supposed to replace the valve cover bolts when you do head gaskets, which I did not do. Not wanting to stick with the stupid 12 pt 8mm head bolts, I drove to lowes and set upon a quest to find a better replacement. I was surprised to find that the bolt fit in NONE of the metric size holes to tell me what thread size the bolt was. It did, however, fit in one of the FREEDOM UNIT size holes perfectly. I ended up with four (I didn't get the inside bolts yet, only the outside.) 1/4-20*1-1/4 size bolts with allen heads, and they're stainless steel so they're beautiful compared to the stock bolts.

This is the one thing about Rovers that I really struggle with. It points to just how cheap Land Rover was with so many aspects of these trucks. The engine was designed by GM in the late 50s,....and GM sold off the manufacturing rights to the Brits about 1961 if I recall. Being a GM engine,....all the fasteners were SAE,........not metric. Land Rover, in its infinite wisdom, as it converted the various fasteners over time, decided to make special SAE threaded fasteners with Metric Heads,.........Perhaps re-tooling to make the threads in the heads (and blocks?) metric threads was cost prohibitive,....but,....I cant imagine it would have been. I went through the same process,.....Off to ACE hardware, where I realized, using their thread gauge, that these wacky 12 point bolts,..were actually SAE 1/4". So, off I went to Tractor supply down the street from my home, to pick up my new valve cover and exhaust manifold bolts. That was a prior Disco,.....I made sure the new owner was aware when I sold it.

SAE Bolts with Metric heads,...............only in the UK.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
Are you referring to the filters on the valve covers, if so, they will not let unmetered air into the air intake. The guys are plugging the vacuum lines that evacuate the oil fumes and installing filters in its place. Basically eliminating the positive crankcase ventilation system.
Mine is oily on the driver side, too.

Joe, can you explain that, please? The lines I put filters on returned to the throttle body. Where they formerly returned to the throttle body, I inserted a bolt and clamped it. It keeps oil and oil vapor from gunking the throttle plate and intake tubes. Well, anyway, after I cleaned mine they seemed to stay clean.

What is the positive ventilation system? Air being pulled out of the valve covers? I'm confused.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The system works like this. vacuum from the intake(after the throttle plate) is stronger than vacuum before the throttle plate at say idle. This pulls crankcase fumes from one of the valve covers and the other side is hooked up before the throttle plate, which has less vacuum until the throttle is opened up. This system removes oil vapors and burns them in combustion, keeping them from just entering the atmosphere(like the older engines with just a pipe that vented). It is an emission thing that started in the late 60's.

Older engines had a down pipe that went down the back of the engine and would drip condensed oil from vapors and of course the vapors also.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

What you guys are doing is defeating the closed PCV system and making it an open system. A no-no in some states. The reason your throttle body is clean now is because it is no longer pulling fumes from the valve cover on that side. If you put filters on both sides, then you are eliminating the whole PCV system. There will always be blow-by from the pistons and gets worse with age, and the filters that you install will with time get oil soaked and drip.
Blow-by is of course, gases that make it past the rings at combustion. The pistons themselves, as they go up and down, create pressure and vacuum inside the block with each stroke and the blow-by itself creates a pressure inside the block. If not vented it will blow gaskets, force oil past rings, valve seals etc.

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 04-06-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:52 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
What you guys are doing is defeating the closed PCV system and making it an open system. A no-no in some states. The reason your throttle body is clean now is because it is no longer pulling fumes from the valve cover on that side. If you put filters on both sides, then you are eliminating the whole PCV system. There will always be blow-by from the pistons and gets worse with age, and the filters that you install will with time get oil soaked and drip.
Blow-by is of course, gases that make it past the rings at combustion. The pistons themselves, as they go up and down, create pressure and vacuum inside the block with each stroke and the blow-by itself creates a pressure inside the block. If not vented it will blow gaskets, force oil past rings, valve seals etc.
Thanks, Joe. It sounds alot like the setup on my diesel. It only has one valve cover (5 cylinder) and the hose goes to a separator/beer can sized doohickey, then to the ground. I've never seen even a drop of oil from the end of the hose (but it has imperceptible blow by--mercedes engineering).

And it is a cousin to the EGR delete insofar as some states disapprove and an EGR utterly ruins your intake if unburnt hydrocarbons make it into your exhaust because they are sent right back to the intake.

So I have nothing to do at 5 am every morning except read the forums and not wake the rest of my family and I read this, which confirms your explanation and also confirms my general belief that if something is a no no in some states it is probably a yes yes for your engine. Oil laden air in the cylinders effectively lowers your octane and makes for dirty exhaust. What a scam.

So, basically, PCV air is filthy, unmetered air! AND it gets worse with engine/ring decrepitude. Double scam! Mod vaults to top of list coequal with hood strut!

Alex, if you read that, it MAY militate the addition of a catch/beer can to the setup, in a perfect world. More bling from your bucks.

But I personally think those funds are put to better use on a Duramax.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 04-06-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:50 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because the lack of throttle plates, the venting system in older diesels is not applicable.

A healthy engine, at idle or low throttle application, will pull air from anywhere it can. All that air is supposed to be measured by the air mass meter. Open the sealed system and it changes fuel trims. Some systems are so sensitive that a badly leaking gasket can mess with fuel trims. Not only that, some manufactures also take engine vacuum into piston ring design and not having a vacuum on the crankcase will actually cause oil consumption to increase.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by synergyautp
Because the lack of throttle plates, the venting system in older diesels is not applicable.

A healthy engine, at idle or low throttle application, will pull air from anywhere it can. All that air is supposed to be measured by the air mass meter. Open the sealed system and it changes fuel trims. Some systems are so sensitive that a badly leaking gasket can mess with fuel trims. Not only that, some manufactures also take engine vacuum into piston ring design and not having a vacuum on the crankcase will actually cause oil consumption to increase.
Oh I agree. My diesel just grabs whatever air it wants. A simple leaking o ring on our injectors can cause havoc. But the air from the valve covers is after the MAF on a rover so it is unmetered, no?

I bet this is why I smell I slight exhausty perfume from the air con when I am at a stop light.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 04-06-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Camel Trophy

Well I am reading more and getting confused. We don't have a pcv valve? It was created so tanks wouldn't suck water while fording? There is water in blow by? Backfire protection?!

Unfortunately I have to work today but hopefully some esteemed person will explain how the mod is right or wrong and why. I'll check back.

Quick Reply: Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)