Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Alex_M;546874]Whooo, pretties pictures in a write up ever! I'm going to try to start using my nice DSLR for these write ups to add a little quality and be a little nicer on the eyes.

Ok, so this one is pretty simple. First, you need two Spectre 3992 Oil Breather Filters.

Don't you want the vacuum to pull the oil vapor away from the engine to be burnt and escape your engine? I never understood the reasoning for putting a filter on unless it is a super high RPM or boosted performance engine where extreme pressure are getting generated within the engine.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Hey Brian. They must have upped the price. If you just do an eBay search a cheaper price might show up, but if not then they may just not be available at that price any more. Sorry.

Originally Posted by bcolins
Just followed your link to order the lights and they show one light for $22. Did you find another source where they were two lights for $22?

Brian

Old 04-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Camel Trophy

Truth be told, it doesn't make a lot of difference either way. The reason I did mine this way was because it was easier than replacing the broken oil separators. It doesn't really hurt or help anything to run it the other way or this way.

[QUOTE=sickws6;561855]
Originally Posted by Alex_M
Whooo, pretties pictures in a write up ever! I'm going to try to start using my nice DSLR for these write ups to add a little quality and be a little nicer on the eyes.

Ok, so this one is pretty simple. First, you need two Spectre 3992 Oil Breather Filters.

Don't you want the vacuum to pull the oil vapor away from the engine to be burnt and escape your engine? I never understood the reasoning for putting a filter on unless it is a super high RPM or boosted performance engine where extreme pressure are getting generated within the engine.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

[QUOTE=Alex_M;561870]Truth be told, it doesn't make a lot of difference either way. The reason I did mine this way was because it was easier than replacing the broken oil separators. It doesn't really hurt or help anything to run it the other way or this way.

It helped me. My throttle plate or butterfly or whatever you want to call it is clean as a whistle. It got gunky before.

And yes I check it occasionally (usually due to some engine malfunction or a semi annual engine swap).

Old 04-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the oil separator filters and after about 200 miles or so I decided to look at them. the one next to throttle body is saturated with oil and the other one is still nice and clean looking.

any ideas why the driver side is completely saturated? I can post a pic is needed.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Camel Trophy

Actually, mine has done the same. I believe its because its right on the valve cover. I'm going to attempt to run a line to raise it before too long, but in the mean time its not hurting anything other than the little bit of oil leaking out. Will update when I get to that.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Actually, mine has done the same. I believe its because its right on the valve cover. I'm going to attempt to run a line to raise it before too long, but in the mean time its not hurting anything other than the little bit of oil leaking out. Will update when I get to that.
I used the original hose and have it as high as the tps sensor.

Attached Thumbnails Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)-12957385_1100701349962124_284226234_n.jpg  
Old 04-03-2016, 06:09 AM
Camel Trophy

Huh, very interesting. Maybe that's still not a long enough tube. That's the only thing I can think of. Yours is still less saturated than mine, but then I've been driving on mine considerably longer at this point.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Mudding

I was wondering if it might need an oil separator like the passenger side has.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Both sides are technical supposed to have them, but don't absolutely need them. They just lose oil if they don't have them.

Quick Reply: Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)