Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

it was dead on with what the factory gauge had
Appreciate the update.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the 2 oil breathers in the mail today. going to install them soon. What is the benefit of putting these in?

Old 03-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

The only real benefit is that it's one less thing to remove when you take stuff apart. Also, if you've got a bad oil separator then this will prevent oil from getting in your intake.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright. thank you for the quick reply.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

And they look cool!

Old 03-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Alright guys, this one is super simple. You need a screwdriver, two pairs of vice grips, two 5/16" band clamps/hose clamps, and a Microgard 33011 fuel filter.

Edit: I ended up getting a filter that I like better because the Microgard had a slow drip. the new filter is a Prime Line 7-02323. It was about a dollar more I think, but it has enlarged ends so it shouldn't leak.

Another Edit: That Prime Line filter is working perfectly. I think the Microgard was actually pinching a little bit judging by how it looked after I pulled it and decreasing fuel rail pressure. The truck actually seems to run better with the Prime Line filter and all drips have been completely eliminated.

Now, crawl under your truck from the passengers side, undo the top fuel hose from the clamp holding it to the frame, and use the vice grips several inches apart. PUT THE ON TIGHT. VERY TIGHT.

Now, WHILE WEARING SAFETY GLASSES, use a pair of flower shears or wire snips to clip the fuel line in half. Seriously, wear some glasses. I didn't and I got a little gas in my eye. Luckily I had a bottle of water 5 ft away to flush my eye. Now you may still be spewing some duel. Don't worry about it, just let it finish spewing before you put the filter in. That's how I got the gas in my eye. Slide the band clamps over each end of the line, slide the fuel filter in, and clamp it down tight. Put it in in the right direction as shown if you wish to be able to see all the grime (or lack there of) that you filter out.

Now start up your truck and let it run. Watch for any drips. Mine was leaking at first so I added an extra clamp on the pump side and I was all good.

Best of luck, ask any questions if you've got any!
Alex! Very Nice having filter but my question is... what was the reasoning to do it? did you bypass the landcover fuel filter or do they even have one? I actually don't know! lol I've changed a bunch of these on other vehicles and didn't think about doing it to andy yet then came across your post here! mmmm

Old 03-25-2016, 11:44 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
Alex! Very Nice having filter but my question is... what was the reasoning to do it? did you bypass the landcover fuel filter or do they even have one? I actually don't know! lol I've changed a bunch of these on other vehicles and didn't think about doing it to andy yet then came across your post here! mmmm
The D2 doesn't have a fuel filter that can be easily serviced. It has a screen and gauze mesh inside the fuel pump housing, but it supposedly requires special tools to access. An in-line solution is much easier to replace if necessary.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:08 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
The D2 doesn't have a fuel filter that can be easily serviced. It has a screen and gauze mesh inside the fuel pump housing, but it supposedly requires special tools to access. An in-line solution is much easier to replace if necessary.
hmmm... maybe this is going to be on my short list! I thought maybe there was another like my other cars but now seeing this, Im going to do this mod too!

Old 03-25-2016, 10:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
hmmm... maybe this is going to be on my short list! I thought maybe there was another like my other cars but now seeing this, Im going to do this mod too!
I still have my old fuel pump so I pulled it out and had a look I can't even find a mesh. It most be buried deep inside. It seems ridiculous to have a non replaceable filter/mesh. I've ADDED THAT TO MY LIST.

1) location of coils, 2) plastic vacuum fitting with red ring, 3) no replaceable fuel filter, 4) three amigos, 5) plastic diff plugs, 6) non replaceable wheel bearings, and 7) Swiss cheese crossmember bolts. Oh I forgot discos with locking CDL built with no lever for locking CDL. That's 8. Ugh.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Reverse lights that will blind you ($22)

Very simple. These are two LED light bars, $11 each shipped, and they will splice right into the factory wiring. There are no relays needed because the wiring is the same gauge as the factory wiring. They are not getting warm at all and they work 10x better than the factory reverse lights with LED bulbs.

Link to lights

Just followed your link to order the lights and they show one light for $22. Did you find another source where they were two lights for $22?

Brian

Quick Reply: Small Modification Write Ups + Index of Mods (Alex_M)