Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some direction needed for Horn+Cruise Control Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Some direction needed for Horn+Cruise Control Failure

Hey everyone,

I've been reading up on folks who have had the same issues, namely, the concurrent horn failure and cruise control failure on a Disco Series 2.

My CC and horn went out around the same time, ~135k miles. CC would work intermittently, but has now completely failed. I've replaced the button on the steering wheel, CC pump under the hood, to no avail.

What is strange is that the horn is also inoperative. I've read that a rotary coupler may have failed and could be causing the issue. What do you think?

Thanks,
Taylor

Old 08-12-2018, 01:27 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Rotary coupler it is... most likely.

no SRS light?

Old 08-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

It could be the vacuum ball on the CC or the vacuum line. Horn wise is the 10amp fuse good in spot 16 under the hood good? Stereo controls still work? Rotary Coupler is a good suspect for sure as the horn & CC go thru it.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:19 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
It could be the vacuum ball on the CC or the vacuum line. Horn wise is the 10amp fuse good in spot 16 under the hood good? Stereo controls still work? Rotary Coupler is a good suspect for sure as the horn & CC go thru it.
The 10 amp fuse to the horn that sits under the hood is looking good, still fresh. (I vaguely remember a year or so ago pulling the fuse and the horn going off, should I have expected that this time around?)

ohh yes, the stereo controls don't work, nor the head unit itself (prob separate issue). I have a newly refurbished head unit on the way.

No SRS light illuminated.

another fun fact I can pose to yall is that my disco has had leaking from the front sunroof (definitely regretting getting the sunroof option), and we have had monsoons down here in Georgia. My AC line also leaks badly and frequently soaks the floorboard. But I ain't drivin' without AC, its GA in the summertime. hahaha.

still love this truck though!

Old 08-13-2018, 07:44 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Rotary coupler it is... most likely.

no SRS light?

X1 ............. most likely the rotary coupler behind the steering wheel, so steering wheel off jobby.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Just to add some additional perspective to the thread, when I first bought the truck I noticed that the radio/clock fuse was continually blowing. Fuse 16, near the top on the right side stack under the steering wheel with a label to read the manual. I probably went through 5 fuses in the first two weeks. I finally figured out that it was connected to the tilt steering wheel. I set the wheel where I like it and haven't adjusted it since May. It hasn't blown once in the last 2,000 miles so I assume some part of the harness is chaffed/cracked and shorting out whenever it flexes. My issue may be completely unrelated however if you've got the wheel off you may want to inspect whatever harness feeds the rotary coupler too.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:40 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ahab
. My issue may be completely unrelated however if you've got the wheel off you may want to inspect whatever harness feeds the rotary coupler too.
no that is an excellent point and certainly didn't think of that before. I'm gearing up to take the steering wheel off, but font know exactly how to go about it. I have the rave manual, are there procedures for that kind of thing?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:56 AM
Mudding

Hey all,

Glad to report that the rotary coupler duly fixed the horn & CC issue that I've been having. Getting the steering wheel off was somewhat taxing (it didn't want to slide off) but actually quite fun and interesting. All is good now, and it feels great (and weird!) to have Cruise Control again. haha. Thanks all for the help.

T