Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sounds like diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:01 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds like diesel

just bought a 2004 disco and had a question. it has about 60k miles on it and when i start it up cold, it sounds like a diesel motor. it does get quieter after it heats up. so what is this? is this typical to disco's? thanks!

oh ya, forgot to mention that i did a carfax on it and have all the service records for the car and there was nothing major done.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: sounds like diesel

it could be an exhaust leak or it could be valves or about eighty other things... open the hood and see if you can try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from... and check your exhaust manifold bolts to make sure none of them are loose...

________
Washington marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Did this happen prior to your 60K? If your oil light on while the noise is being made?
If it happened afterwaeds, I would call and leave the truck over night with the dealer so they can duplicate the noise.
Get back to us and let us know what they find.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine does the same, I'm fiarly sure the reason mine is does it is do to a exhuast leak and the RPM's are higher on a cold start up than after it's warm.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:14 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Did this happen prior to your 60K? If your oil light on while the noise is being made?
If it happened afterwaeds, I would call and leave the truck over night with the dealer so they can duplicate the noise.
Get back to us and let us know what they find.
dunno...i got the truck with about 58k on it and they drove 70 miles or so to meet me for the test drive so it was quite warm. nothing was leaking when they got there.i have never seen anoil light. it was doing it before i changed any fluids anyway. i bought some stuff for the 60k. i had the trans and xfercase fluids changed right after i got it. the trans fluid was awful so i took it in right after i bought it. i went ahead and had them do the xfer case while they were in there. i got under there today to do my diffs and pulled the fill plug and the oil looked brand new on the front and rear so i left those alone. then i pulled a spark plug and it looked brand new also, still gapped at 40. so i am wondering if it had some type of service before i bought it. it was a lease car that got turned in at 57k miles. the records i have don't indicatethere was a service. and i called the dealer to ask what was done to it before i bought it and they didn't mention anything like that. just new battery, tires, and windshield. the tires are in fact spankin' new.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Mine makes a lifter noise, maybe that is what you are hearing.

Willie

Old 11-26-2008, 10:43 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Im pretty sure what you arte hearing is normal. Mine does that as well, and after a few seconds it goes to normal. My bud's disco does that too (mine is louder because I dont have a resonator). I could be wrong, but thats my 2 cents.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't describe mine as sounding like a diesel, but it sounded rough on start up around 60K. I found a post on this site about cleaning out the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) located in the 'loop' of rubber piping that bypasses the throttle body. I took it out, hosed it out with carb cleaner, let it dry, and re installed. I could tell a huge difference. Not sure if this helps, but since you would only be out a can of carb spray, and you probably need to do it anyway, it can't hurt.

Hope this helps.
Jason
04 Disco 2

Old 11-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: Camdisco24

Im pretty sure what you arte hearing is normal. Mine does that as well, and after a few seconds it goes to normal. My bud's disco does that too (mine is louder because I dont have a resonator). I could be wrong, but thats my 2 cents.
Any engine noise be it internal or exhaust is normal and should be fixed.