Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plugs from Miami Rover via Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 05:26 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They might be non-marked Champion spark plugs which I have never seen but those are definitely not Champion NLP100320 spark plugs. They are different. I doubt Champion is going to make two different spark plugs with the same part number. Google image the part number and you will see that they are different than the ones you have. They swapped them out or who knows what happened.

With that said you can use them and see how they perform and how long they last. If they are decent they should last more than 20k miles. I used a set of the original Champion copper core spark plugs for 80k mile and replaced them because I had a misfire but it ended up being a plug wire.

Last edited by buick215; 12-24-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Check all your wire leads, at the plug/coil, and if you can install the old plugs or go buy some cheap copper plugs locally and see how it runs with those. I'd never slap a non-labeled plug in any of my vehicles.
I believe I fixed the problem. I'm going to take it out for a spin, here shortly. It didn't have anything to do with the new plugs and wires though

Old 12-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Pro Wrench

i don't see much of a difference and it has the exact same electrode which is pretty much all that matters. obviously this thread is going on forever since everyone is an expert on spark plugs so I'm throwing in the towel. peace!

Attached Thumbnails Spark Plugs from Miami Rover via Ebay-nlp100320a.png   Spark Plugs from Miami Rover via Ebay-nlp100320b.jpg  
Old 12-25-2015, 04:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Fixed?

I believe I fixed the problem.
Are you back up-to-speed?

LR mx sched for your plugs is 4 yr./60,000 mi. so you shold be good for a while.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Land Rover - D2_MX Sched.pdf (319.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I'm no "spark plug" expert, but I do know that using OEM plugs is not necessary. Most important detail with any spark plug is getting one with the proper heat range. Copper plugs will give you a slightly better spark due to a larger area of spark, but you get a shorter service life. Platinum/Double Platinum/Iridium plugs will give you a much longer service life.

You could use AC Delco, Motorcraft, Autolite, Champion, Bosch, Denso, NGK, or E3 as long as the heat range is correct. Brand name doesn't matter at all (My Bosch comment earlier is due to their center electrode being flush with the insulator which makes those plugs foul easier vs normal designed plugs). I've used a lot of different plug brands over the years, and in my H3 Alpha I run autolite Iridium's and in my LR's I run NGK Iridium's. Main reason I run those is it's a commonly stocked item at any auto parts store, and I've had extremely good results.

Glad you got it running well whatever you found wrong & Merry Christmas.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by number9
Are you back up-to-speed?

LR mx sched for your plugs is 4 yr./60,000 mi. so you shold be good for a while.

Yes, I'm good for now. Thank you for asking. I was getting P1300 and cylinder 6 and 7 misfire codes 100 miles after the new spark plugs and wires. I checked and rechecked everything, so just before trying different spark plugs and wires on Cyl 7, I noticed that my brother left out the bottom 2 bolts during reassembly,which hold the coil pack to the engine. I put those 2 bolts in, which took me about 2 hours in the middle of the night, and I haven't had the misfire nor any other trouble codes since. I was told that the coil pack will function without any of the 4 attachment points, but the only thing that I did was add the 2 bolts and nothing else was done at that time. I also rebuilt both drive-shafts this weekend so I'm hoping that I won't have to do any more fixes in the near future. No more clanking when engaging reverse or rough idle. I have basically replaced, refilled and upgraded just about everything and I owe tons of thanks to this website and its members, as well as my trusty OBD. Good luck to everyone on their Discovery endeavors.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm no "spark plug" expert, but I do know that using OEM plugs is not necessary. Most important detail with any spark plug is getting one with the proper heat range. Copper plugs will give you a slightly better spark due to a larger area of spark, but you get a shorter service life. Platinum/Double Platinum/Iridium plugs will give you a much longer service life.

You could use AC Delco, Motorcraft, Autolite, Champion, Bosch, Denso, NGK, or E3 as long as the heat range is correct. Brand name doesn't matter at all (My Bosch comment earlier is due to their center electrode being flush with the insulator which makes those plugs foul easier vs normal designed plugs). I've used a lot of different plug brands over the years, and in my H3 Alpha I run autolite Iridium's and in my LR's I run NGK Iridium's. Main reason I run those is it's a commonly stocked item at any auto parts store, and I've had extremely good results.

Glad you got it running well whatever you found wrong & Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and thanks for the advice. The next time that I perform this maintenance task I will do more research and save myself money and get a better bang for my buck

Old 12-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

No problem at all & glad to help!!

On the black 02 D2 I recently sold (I fixed a ton of stuff), I had a mysterious misfire/shutter at random times and not a single code would pop up... I was told when I bought it that the plugs/wires were just changed (later found that to be false). When I removed the intake manifold I found the coil pack completely not bolted down to anything and all 8 coil pack ends of the spark plug wires were rubbing right into the bulkhead..... After I secured it all my problems stopped.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Pro Wrench

No problem at all & glad to help!!

On the black 02 D2 I recently sold (I fixed a ton of stuff), I had a mysterious misfire/shutter at random times and not a single code would pop up... I was told when I bought it that the plugs/wires were just changed (later found that to be false). When I removed the intake manifold I found the coil pack completely not bolted down to anything and all 8 coil pack ends of the spark plug wires were rubbing right into the bulkhead..... After I secured it all my problems stopped.
This gives me comfort. With Abran telling me that the coil pack bolts may not have anything to do with the fix, I was walking on egg shells waiting for the misfire to rear its head again but no problems yet. Hopefully it's fixed for good as I have driven it another 100 miles. Now I just have to go back and replace the 8mm bolts that I borrowed from a couple of miscellaneous items before I forget about it LmAo

Old 12-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
This gives me comfort. With Abran telling me that the coil pack bolts may not have anything to do with the fix, I was walking on egg shells waiting for the misfire to rear its head again but no problems yet. Hopefully it's fixed for good as I have driven it another 100 miles. Now I just have to go back and replace the 8mm bolts that I borrowed from a couple of miscellaneous items before I forget about it LmAo
I have worked on and owned various rovers with only 2 bolts holding the coil pack and even had one with no bolts.

If the bolts were affecting the pack, I don't think it was ground related but more a movement vibration issue. I would be intetested to hear others opinions/experiences on the matter.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs from Miami Rover via Ebay