Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport mode issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport mode issues

I'm having several issues that have started all around the same time with my 2002 Landrover Discovery II.
First the left blinker is "spazzing" out. I first thought the bulb was going, but then when other stuff started happening, I'm not so sure.

Upon starting my car, the sport/manual mode lights start flashing, and when put into Drive the "D" flashes. The car is driving differently and it does feel as though it is in Sport mode. When I shift from reverse to drive the transmission slams.

The battery has died on me twice since it started happening. It jumps off quickly and all lights etc work, just not enough power to crank.

Took it to the parts store and they ran the codes. A lot came up. One being an O2 sensor and a lot more.

Any ideas or anyone have this happen before. When they cleared the codes, the sport mode went off and then a couple of days later came back on.
Any advice.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

90% of the time the blinking lights meen you have a charging issue, bad battery , altenator or ground . Have your charging system checked 13.6 vt or better and have your battery load tested.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you want help, get the charging system tested as already mentioned, then clear the old codes. When new codes show up give us all the fault code numbers not just a few and let us help you.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post S and M lights flashing and flashing D

2002 Disco II S and M lights flash and D flashes when shifted. Towed to service, changed transmission filter and oil. Now it does not want to take off. Have to shift into low to take off its shaking when in drive and sputtering, Shop says may have to put in new transmission. I am no mechanic but this does not sit right in my mind. A little history changed battery 2 months ago, have bad ignition switch just bought not installed yet. 6 months ago changed radiator and front propeller shaft. Shop also said might be bad neutral switch on the transmission. Help!!!! Don't know what to believe.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like the origin of the problem was a charging issue. Now it sounds like a charging issue and low transmission fluid. Do not drive it until you double check the trans fluid levels or you run the risk of burning up the trans.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Agree on the voltage issues, tranny computer wants it to be well above 9 volts at the computer. Good battery, good ground connections, alternator charging at 13.6 - 14.4 at idle, etc. Fluid level is tricky in a D2, not a dip stick like most mechanics are used to. May also want to select a shop equipped with a computer that can read Rover transmission codes, they come out on the same connector, but some just say 1884 to a basic scanner. Pages of codes attached. Might also be an XYZ switch full of muck, it tells computer what gear you have selected. And Murphys Law is a mult-volume set, you may have problems with the MAF disconnected or dirty, the tranny tries to adjust to what it percieves is engine load, the ECU and tranny computer are always talking to each other (more power Mr. Scott! I'm giving all's she's got Capt!).

Attached Thumbnails Sport mode issues-xyz-photo.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 tran codes.pdf (554.4 KB, 117 views)