Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel shakes at 45 -55 Mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009 | 12:54 AM
TReK

To remove the hub you need to undo that big staked nut (a pain. I did it with a huge 300lb torque wrench from Harbor freight $80). It needs to go on with 360lbs of torque so that torque wrench is close enough for me as a 400lb one is hundreds of dollars. Remove the 4 hub bolts in the back then I used a 3 legged gear puller ($9 harbor freight) to remove the hub. When it popped the hub popped off the axel but some have had to take the axel with the hub pressed on and use a shop press or drop a sledge on it. Here is a good walkthrough:

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/fronthub.html

If there is no noticeable play in the bearing though I would say you are wasting your time. Try to replace the front steering damper that is my next move after I get my engine put back together.

Last edited by lipadj46; 06-23-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2009 | 03:04 PM
Overlanding
Default Hello

Originally Posted by disco mike
go have your tires rotated and balanced, then if it is still there, send me your tele number and i'll call you and walk you thru what and how to to the truck.
hey discomike. I am experiencing this also. I have new tires, brakes and rotors on mine and it still does it. What advice can u give? Im goin to get driveshaft checked in the morning. Can i get it rebuilt if thats the problem? Thanks in advance!!!

Old 07-04-2009 | 03:33 PM
2nd Gear

Hey DZACKERY, I would definitely check your front drive shaft because I was experiencing this same thing about a month ago, not a violent shake more of a vibration and my cv went out on my front drive shaft taking my tranny with it. 400 dollars to get the front driveline rebuilt, or, 3000 for a new tranny and driveshaft. Check it for play and if there is any, get it off of there and have that baby rebuilt.

Old 07-26-2009 | 07:53 PM
Overlanding
Default RE:

Originally Posted by Spike555
Most of the causes for a shaky steering wheel are tires or brakes.
So either your tires are out of balance, worn uneven or bad.
The other is a warped brake rotor.
The ACE is suspension and I really dont think that would cause this but I could be wrong.
Spike, I have this issue also and looked into all of the symptoms that you listed. I took my truck to my Rover mechanic and my driveshafts are good. He took them out at 1 hour of labor each and in the process shook my tie rod ends. And what do you know....I had already gotten new tires all the way around with new brakes AND rotrs all the way around a couple months ago thinkin that it would solve my issue. My tie rod end is goin bad. So I am hoping this works for me and solves finally. But I just wanted to piggy back what you sted with this diagnosis. I havent seen anybody post this one yet.

Old 09-03-2009 | 11:42 AM
Drifting
Unhappy Entire truck shakes and feels like it's going out of control

OK. Traveling at highway speed 65-70mph, my '99 Series I will suddenly start to violently shake like it's going to fly to pieces. The steering wheel, as well. So far I have replaced the front springs, shocks, steering damper bar, swivel *****, and a tie rod end (I think that's all). The problem persists....anyone????

Old 09-04-2009 | 11:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Thumbs up Last items.....

I too went throught the same shakes. After replacing everything you need to have the preload adjusted and a good (I mean good) alignment by people who know Land Rovers. I went to the Dealership to have both of these items done after I-myself changed the Springs/shocks, Pan hard bushings, tie rod ends, steering damper...etc, etc.

Once the "finesse" was completed, the D1 drove great with no issues.

Old 09-04-2009 | 11:20 AM
TReK

You can tighten up the steering by tightening the nut on the steering box but you don't tighten it up like on a DI with the shims.

Old 09-04-2009 | 12:51 PM
2nd Gear
Default Other Possibility...

I had the same problem on my 99 DII. Depending on the intensity of the vibration, check your front driveline. My front output bearing had gone bad and was getting a pretty bad vibration on the front driveline. The CV can break and take out your tranny. Good luck...