Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibration

My tires looked low, when I went to take the caps off, they were fozen ( Metal caps). So I had them re-stemed, re-balanced and inflated to proper pressure. I have not checked to see what the actual pressure on them is, I assumed that they were filled to proper rover specifications. Ever since then, I noticed that the steering wheel vibrates a little at high speeds, when I take my foor off the gas.. It never did this before. Any suggestions, as to what might be causing this ( Impropeer rebalancing / tire air pressure..) or something more serious. Suggestion and guidence greatly appreciated.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Steering Wheel Vibration

First, never assume anything, especially when it comes to your Rover and who might be working on it. Take it back to the tire store, tell them a tire is out of balance and when they are dome, have them put 35#'s of air in the front and 40#'s in the rear. This is more then Rover recommends but will make the tires last alot longer.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No tire shop does what the manufacture recommends. They just put in about 30 psi and send you out the door.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've wondered about the recommended psi on Discos, I've beenwanting to have the correct psibut I haven't been about to find any markings on my tires (basic firestones I believe). Will 35# and 40# work in most tires?

Old 04-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your tires will only list the max PSI that they can handle.
Look on the inside of your drivers door pillar, that is where you will find the tire placard on any car or trk. That is where the car maker will tell you what they recommend for tire size and PSI.
You can run any PSI you want up to the max PSI for the tire that is on your trk. The more air you put in the rougher the ride and less traction but better the MPG.
The lower the air PSI the smother the ride, better traction, less MPG and if they are to low really bad handling.
The car manufature runs test's to see what is the best tire PSI, and the best all around tire for the type of consumer that is their target.
Soccer moms get less aggresive tires and a softer ride, farmers get a all terrain tire and a stiffer ride for carrying heavier loads.
OEM tires are not always the best tire, they are just a good compremise for the average consumer.
So go ahead and PSI to what the sticker in the door says no matter what the tire says.