Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo stuck on one radio station

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo stuck on one radio station

Hiya
Today our 2003 DII's stereo stopped doing anything except playing one radio station. The volume controls work, but you can't change stations or play CDs (or tapes). It's the original stereo from the agency. Is there a way to do a hard reset or something? We can't get to an agency where we are, i don't think we have much in the way of options if we need to take it for repairs.
Any input much appreciated.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Even if the dealership was next door, the repair cost may exceed an aftermarket radio with more features. You might also buy a replacement factory radio from a dismantler or on fleabay. Depends on where you are in the world with regards to shipping, etc. Salvage yards near me get like $35 for a radio. Note: hope it is an oldies station to go with the flux capacitor....

You could try disconnect battery for an hour, but hold down the hood alarm switch and don't have vehicle locked when you do it. Radio does have a memory.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try to disconnect the battery like savannah buzz said, if that doesn't work I will sell you one for $20 plus shipping if your interested.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, the battery disconnect sounds like a good idea, but it raises a related subject. We bought this Disco in a very abused state about 8 months ago. The engine has been largely rebuilt, but the car has a few outstanding issues that we are living with for now. We are in a small Mexican town, we get Land Rover parts from an online dealer but agencies don't exist here. We have a good mechanic.

Anyhow, there is a short in the electrical system we haven't gone about tracking down. So we disconnect the battery when we aren't using it so it won't be drained. Could that affect the stereo?

Personally, i am looking forward to a new stereo, but my husband still listens very carefully for noises from his baby when we drive it, and hasn't been big on music when we are in it.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's deffinetly what I would try first too. There's alot of forums that you can join and all of them have classified ads full of used parts at reasonable prices, also roverlandparts.com is a good source for parts. As far as your battery issue have you replaced the alternator and battery?