Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange sound...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, thanks everyone for your input.

@Jafir Thanks for the link. I was wondering if it was by chance the solenoid. After looking at the RAVE manual I saw there were a couple components at play here. The thread you referred to seems to point in that direction of the solenoid. I am curious though, I don't have any error codes coming on, yet.

@JakeVT Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just put a new battery in a couple weeks ago. It is squeaky clean and the terminals are all attached tightly. Would've been nice though if that was the case!

Any way of knowing whether you need a new secondary air injector or just a solenoid? There is a big cost difference between the two... about $150 - $200 difference...

Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You will find out if you need a pump if after you replace the solenoid you still hear the pump squealing (upon cold starts) like a jet taking off. If the pump quiets down you are good for a while.

I waited until my pump failed completely before replacing it and then the solenoid shortly after. There will be an SES light and codes if the pump actually fails and the noise will change.

Having a failed solenoid long enough could damage your SAI valves, the two silver vacuum devices on the side of each valve cover. Mostly this is from carbon buildup due to exhaust backflowing through the system... which is why you can hear the exhaust burbling like there is a leak on the top passenger side of the engine compartment. these can in thoery be cleaned, have not tried that, mine are not failing but were occasionally sticking and now seem ok.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give a call to the Rover recycler in Rancho Cordova, CA. I forget their name but they have a ton of stuff and decent prices. I have bought a transmission from them and a few other small parts while I was traveling through CA. It would be a little drive but it would not be that bad if you drove down there to get it either.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Would guess you could unplug pump and crank truck first thing one day, and if no noise .....