Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Northern Canada and need help trouble shooting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013 | 07:47 PM
TReK

OK, I am glad you jumped the fuel pump relay.
now we are getting some where.
You can jump that little switch with the button.
That switch - if you get into a wreck, it pops up so that raw fuel will not burn you up
in the accident.

Dribbling..
Ice in the fuel line?
You need to get above freezing.
You are in the diesel garage now?
That's at least good.

The fuel filter on a Discovery II - may be plugged.
How many miles?
If you are up in the 180km to more you probably have a toasted fuel pump.
Very easy to replace.

Access door in truck.

You could just pull it and inspect it for damage and plugged crap on the pickup screen.
And see if there is dirt on the bottom of your tank.

you may have gotten construction grade gas in there with dirt as a bonus.

I am very glad you jumped the fuel relay..
Good show.

Now come on you need to win the bet.

Other thing is..
The fuel only goes IN one way.

There is NOT a fuel loop like a discovery I.
So,
you may need to BLEED the fuel ring?
I guess it will self bleed...

When I took apart my Discovery II for head gaskets - it started up pretty quick
after I put it back together and the fuel injectors and all that were sitting in the back of the truck for a week and had no gas in them.

Old 01-24-2013 | 07:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Keep at it man!

Old 01-24-2013 | 11:05 PM
|
Mudding

It is quite possible that there is ice in the lines. I'm going to get out there tomorrow and try and bleed them. I'm thinking pressure up the system. Hit the schrader valve. Pressure it up again, hit the schrader valve… and by pressure up, I mean to the dribble state of pressure. Maybe turn it over a bunch too. Try and let that methyl hydrate get down the line.

More than likely it is filter issues. I'm am hearing you say that! I can believe it as the symptoms of fuel trickling out, then nothing for a while, then trickling out again support the hypothesis.

Tomorrow I will roll up the carpet and get at the fuel pump. Any ideas how to pop that trim along the back door?

The new pump and seal are on the way. Along with a coolant return hose. I broke that today while mucking about. It was just a little tap. It was cold out and the plastic is old.

There is no garage here. Nowhere inside. I have thought about hoarding with tarps and a tiger torch. The temps have been around -20c (-4F) to -30c (-22F) and a bit colder with the wind. Forecast is calling for 3 days of -8c (17F) starting tomorrow. T-Shirt weather!

I'm trying to stay positive.

Old 01-25-2013 | 07:31 AM
Winching

Ok this post has become crazy.. But you must bring her back to life. You have most of us reading this thread all the time. well at least me. Also sounds like you are getting real close. The heater idea sounds like a positive one to me. If you do have water/ice in the line the extra heat would only be of benefit it may only take a few extra degrees to free up the line enough to give you that extra pressure to get things moving. and with 3 days of tropical weather I would make the most of it. cheers

Old 01-25-2013 | 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Hair dryer pointed at fuel lines as you crawl along under truck on the frozen gravel? But seems like if it was frozen, you would not even get a dribble. I think a round trip to the pump may reveal much. Don't try to run pump when not immersed for any period of time more than seconds for testing, it depends on surrounding fluid for cooling.

Old 01-25-2013 | 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Can you get the truck inside a heated garage for the night?

Old 01-25-2013 | 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Heat lamp on extension cord?

Old 01-25-2013 | 08:10 PM
Team Owner

A heat lamp wont do anything, the wind will just blow the heat away, a hair drier wont work either, its not hot enough.

Old 01-25-2013 | 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, 60 F less than what I consider cold here, plus wind chill. But you are right, we have no idea where the ice is located in the fuel line, or if it is ice at all (vs dirty sock syndrome).

Time to crank up the steam cleaner or run a hose to a hot water tank.... wash down the underside.

Old 01-25-2013 | 09:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz

Time to crank up the steam cleaner or run a hose to a hot water tank.... wash down the underside.
You guys that live in warm climates crack me up, the hot water will freeze before he has time to do anything other than get hypothermia.
At -20*F hot water will freeze solid in less than a min, (a mist of hot water will freeze before it hits the ground) then the whole underside of his truck will be unmovable, anything that was wet will be literally frozen stiff.
And then even if he were to get it running and then tried to move it he cold break a caliper, propshaft, pinion flange, almost anything.
He needs to get it inside, let it thaw overnight and then trouble shoot.
Thats the only way to unfreeze the water in the fuel (if there is any) so the alcohol can do its job.

Quick Reply: Stuck in Northern Canada and need help trouble shooting!