Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Northern Canada and need help trouble shooting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013 | 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

If you are still working in a noisy environment, you could hold a stick to the tank and listen through it to hear pump noise. When key is turned to position 2 the pump would run for like 2 seconds.

Old 01-24-2013 | 08:56 AM
|
Mudding

I jumped the fuel relay (87 and 30). It started for about 2 seconds and stopped. So I think that means that I'm getting pressure and enough gas gets through the filtering mechanism to provide a start, but not enough to supply it running.

Old 01-24-2013 | 10:02 AM
|
Mudding

I will access the fuel schrader valve. Jump the fuel pump and see what happens! I'm surrounded by running diesel engines at the moment. Hope some of these guys go to work so I can hear the fuel pump.

I might just go ahead and order the fuel pump and get it on it's way up here. Time is my issue. I'm running out of time. If I order it today, I'll get it by Monday, assuming no highways close in the mean time. We are currently under a heavy snowfall warning and the main highway might close again.

And just to be sure, again, there is no inline fuel filter? All the filtering takes place right at the pump. That makes sense to me, I just want to be sure. The shop manual mentions one, but I think that is the diesel.

Old 01-24-2013 | 10:53 AM
|
Mudding

Inertia switch. How do I bypass it? It is old. Has old wires. Doesn't click when I push down on it. Can I just connect the two wires somewhere along the line?

Old 01-24-2013 | 12:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by vonrock
And just to be sure, again, there is no inline fuel filter?
IF this image is the right one, then no, only on the Pump.

Attached Thumbnails Stuck in Northern Canada and need help trouble shooting!-fuel-system.jpg  
Old 01-24-2013 | 12:55 PM
|
Mudding

Ok. Finally found the schrader valve for the fuel line! OMG.
I tiny bit of gas dribbles out. Then virtually none while cranking. Let her sit for a while turn the key to position 2 a couple of times, and there is a small bit of pressure built up again. Then none. None while cranking.
I've put more gas into the tank, it's about 2/3 full and nearly an ounce of methyl hydrate.
I'm going to pull the trigger and get a fuel pump sent up. I want to keep trying to pump gas small bits of gas through the line so the methyl hydrate can work and clean up any ice that might be in the line.

While filling the tank up from a jerry can this morning I noticed how easily snow can slide off the window and roof above the gas tank while filling and drop right into the gas filler part of the tank. I must make sure I'm careful with this in the future.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you updated.

Old 01-24-2013 | 01:10 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by vonrock
Inertia switch. How do I bypass it? It is old. Has old wires. Doesn't click when I push down on it. Can I just connect the two wires somewhere along the line?
I tapped on the switch a few times to trigger it. It did reset when pushing down on the button.

Old 01-24-2013 | 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think if you pull your pump you will find the pickup filter clogged. I know Im saying this over and over but, to me it seems highly likely. I have experienced this numerous times on various farm equipment.

Last edited by 94svt50; 01-24-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2013 | 03:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by 94svt50
I think if you pull your pump you will find the pickup filter clogged. I know Im saying this over and over but, to me it seems highly likely. I have experienced this numerous times on various farm equipment.
Or, Ice in the fuel lines. Could always heat them with a torch... Just KIDDING!

Old 01-24-2013 | 04:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Or, Ice in the fuel lines. Could always heat them with a torch... Just KIDDING!
They would thaw in a hurry!
How cold is it there?

Quick Reply: Stuck in Northern Canada and need help trouble shooting!