Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surely I have 4 wheel drive in reverse gear....surely

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I searched both RAVE workshop manual and owners handbook, and I couldn't find anything concrete about TC, speeds, lapse of engagement, or anything.

I think 10 or more seconds seems like an awfully long time for it to engage. On my own vehicle, if I am traveling up my snow covered street at a slow speed, and just for fun, I blip the accelerator pedal to get the tires to break loose, the traction control almost immediately (less than 1 second) engages and I get the TC light on the dash, and the ratcheting sound of the ABS components working.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive on muddy wet roads often and TC is pretty much instant when any wheel looses traction. I have on occasion floored it just for fun to see how TC handles it, it does an amazing job and you can easily drive in a straight line. Boys will be boys...

Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This is just a guess, but I seem to remember hearing that the gear ratio in reverse is generally lower than the gears used when going forward. This would contribute to the impression that the truck is behaving differently, and (I would think) could minimize the situations where the traction control would kick in.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sounds like it was my problem spike, i double checked the owner's manual and it gives a much more unspecific description. Thanks for the input guys, looks like i'll have to find some more slippery stuff and see what happens.

Last edited by Livingintheskies; 01-21-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Livingintheskies
guess you can chock one more up for the D1 diff lock.....until i get the linkage!

A definite must have! We got about 10-12" of snow here two nights ago, and I have been one of the few vehicles to drive "up" my street, instead of "down" to an adjoining street. I back out of the garage, engage the CDL, out into the street, then "slow as possible, fast as necessary" up the unplowed street. With the CDL engaged, the TC has only kicked in a few times when I tested to make sure it was working by blipping the throttle.

12" fresh snow, decently steep street, General Grabber UHP (summer street) tires, and TC isn't even needed!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Rock Crawling

So i just tested this for you. I went out on my newly icy and snowy street--3-5 inches today, lots of wind near open fields. My TC comes on immediately in Reverse same as in Drive.
I had some summer crap tires and the TC was on ALOT for those. With my new Duratracs the TC is on less, but still fun to get the snow throwing on and I am amazed at how ridiculously well this thing tracks.
I watched a Jeep hit a snow bank this morning as I came home from Ice fishing. I have to try REALLY hard to break the rear wheels free in a corner. The TC is not as much fun at low speeds, but it is really effective. At higher speeds it just makes you go where ever you point your rig. I like it alot!

Old 01-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Mudding

Ok since you tested it that makes two. I will chock the "incident" in my backyard up to operator error. Aside from say maybe a tractor i wouldn't feel safer in anything else......that poor jeep in the snowbank.