Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three Amigos Intermitten Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three Amigos Intermitten Problem

Hello all,
I have been having some trouble with my TC,ABS, HD control lately. What happens is that the three amigo lights will come on sometimes for no reason. However, once I turn the truck off and turn it back on they go out. There isn't any ryme or reason towhen they come on and they sometimes stay off foras long as a month before they reappear. Is there anything that could be causing these codes to come up. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Drifting
Default RE: Three Amigos Intermitten Problem

I had the same problem with a Subaru Outback I had. ABS light would come on sometimes when I would pull out of a parking lot roughly and go out once I cut the car off and back on. I decided it was a wheel speed sensor starting to go bad and never worried about it. My amigos are on now but my ABS is working fine. Just need to get it to the dealer and figure out which sensor it is on mine.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I've had the same thing happen since last Sept. about 3-4 different times. The codes were read in April (intermittent front left abs sensor, and shuttle valve fault) and cleared. They stayed off until early July, when they were cleared again, but became permanent after that. I just had the sensor and shuttle valve replaced. The TC and ABS (no HDC light) came on once but they went away after restarting the engine and I haven't seen them since.

In short, get your codes read and come back here with the results.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Starcraft,
They are coming on for a reason, which you have not yet found.
Do you have alot of brake dust on your wheels, are your brakes squeaking alot?

Old 08-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Mudding

There does seem to be a excessive amount of brake dust on my wheels and I have actually been getting some squeaking lately which is wierd because I changed my brakes myself about 5000 miles ago. Any ideas Mike? Should I give them a good cleaning with brake parts cleaner? Thanks for the help

Old 08-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Spray your wheels and rims with the garden hose and remove all the brake dust. When to much dust gets on the ABS wheel speed sensor it will set off the three amigos.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Mudding

Hello all,
I am still getting the three amigos from time to time..........even after spraying the wheels with a garden hose. I am wondering if it will help to take off the wheels (I have to rotate them anyway) and get in there with some brake cleaner. Will this ruin anything? The last thing I want to do is to break a wheel speed sensor or something just because I am trying to clean it out. Thanks alot for the help.

Also will thoroughly cleaning them help my brake squeaking. As I have said previously, the brakes (EBC Greenstuff) only have around 5000 miles on them so I dont think I should be getting anything like that from wear. Please advise. Thanks

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You cant hurt the ABS sensors, they are designed to be in the elements, but the magnets get dirty and cant read the wheel speed.