Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
It sounds like rod knock. Did you have the crank ground for oversize shells both mains and big end? It sounds like one is not getting oil so I wonder if a shell is spinning blocking the oil port? It would be obvious because there would be striation on the shell exterior and the tabs would be flush. Obviously it's not always blocking the oiling. With the oil pan off and the motor in place you could do a quick check on the rods by checking for cross (journal diameter) slop, any found and it's the culprit. Mains are a little tougher but removing the saddle would allow you to see what you need to.
I have replaced the Bearings and they looked fine (not spun) . The Crank has been turned and I used the right Bearings (.010). I've also pulled the bottom Crank Bearings just to see and they were all fine, and the Crank had no scoring on it that I could feel with a fingernail. I turned the Crank back and forth, looking for any looseness on each conrod and saw none. But, having said all of that, it is clearly a bottom end problem so I must have missed something. It is so difficult to work on it under the truck (no matter how long I wait I get oil rain, my arms get tired, etc.) so I'm just going to pull it, put the 4.0 back in, and figure it out. I have some of the disconnecting done already from checking the oil pump and the hood it just sitting over the engine bay.

The only problem is that my crane is behind a trailer, behind a truck, and the Rover is in front of the truck and can't be started. Hahaha. I didn't plan for failure! Thank goodness I have a winch.

I suspect that the Crank or cam is bent or wrong in some way. Or something is not getting oil. The oil light came in at low rpms after I swapped the first head, which makes no sense.

I read about a guy whose Rover wouldn't start and the mechanic found that the gas had water in it, the crank sensor was bad, and the inertial switch has bad. Or something like that. Anyway, sometimes you just need help or a well lit work area and I think this is one of those times.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Default Solved one problem.

Because is suspected my oil pump, I dropped the oil pan and took the front cover off, only to find that the pump was fine. The problem was the pickup tube. I'd post a picture but it is just embarrassing. Little bits of rtv had almost completely blocked it. I wonder if others who have replaced head gaskets or done something unrelated then had low oil pressure had the same issue. Rtv stops all of the leaks, but it floats around, too.

Then I think I discovered the cause of the tapping sound. Maybe. The nut had backed off of the pickup tube and it had at least 1/2 inch of play. When I rattled it around it sounded alot like the tapping sound in my video, from the top, though I'm having a hard time imagining it being as loud as the video. The crank and rods are super tight. No play.

So now I'm at the usual crossroads. Do I pull and swap the engine to find the problem another day? Or stop progress and reassemble it in the hope that I've found it.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-20-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Reassemble it. Run it again. It was intermittent.....

Old 05-20-2016, 09:46 AM
Camel Trophy

Yeah this process is getting a little tedious even for a tinkerer like me. This is major operation, what, six?

Still, I can put everything back together in a couple of hours. The work isn't the issue, it is the DISAPPOINTMENT!

Old 05-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Watched a video from AB recently where they talked about RTV blocking the pickup screen causing a low oil pressure. You are my hero with your fearlessness!
Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Because is suspected my oil pump, I dropped the oil pan and took the front cover off, only to find that the pump was fine. The problem was the pickup tube. I'd post a picture but it is just embarrassing. Little bits of rtv had almost completely blocked it. I wonder if others who have replaced head gaskets or done something unrelated then had low oil pressure had the same issue. Rtv stops all of the leaks, but it floats around, too.

Then I think I discovered the cause of the tapping sound. Maybe. The nut had backed off of the pickup tube and it had at least 1/2 inch of play. When I rattled it around it sounded alot like the tapping sound in my video, from the top, though I'm having a hard time imagining it being as loud as the video. The crank and rods are super tight. No play.

So now I'm at the usual crossroads. Do I pull and swap the engine to find the problem another day? Or stop progress and reassemble it in the hope that I've found it.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Watched a video from AB recently where they talked about RTV blocking the pickup screen causing a low oil pressure. You are my hero with your fearlessness!
Thanks, Buckeye! You've inspired me to show the picture. If you blow it up a little you will see the tiny space that oil could pass through. About the size of a dime. <br >

And by the way, the rave teaches to remove he torque converter bolts through the access hole. Hat is HARD. I've done it maybe a dozen times. Last night since I had removed the front cover, I had also removed the oil pan. It is now obvious (I don't know why it wasn't before) that with the oil pal out of the way it is a breeze to remove and install the torque converter bolts because the flywheel is exposed and right in front of you. I guess if you want to retain the oil in an engine a swap you wouldn't remove the pan, but I never retain the oil and will always take the pan off in the future to get to the torque converter bolts.

Bad rave!

Old 05-20-2016, 09:53 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Thanks, Buckeye! You've inspired me to show the picture. If you blow it up a little you will see the tiny space that oil could pass through. About the size of a dime.
<br >

What is the rest of that stuff? Hair?! Am I now going bald over this project!?

And by the way, the rave teaches to remove the torque converter bolts through the access hole. That is HARD. I've done it maybe a dozen times. Last night since I had removed the front cover, I had also removed the oil pan. It is now obvious (I don't know why it wasn't before) that with the oil pan out of the way it is a breeze to remove and install the torque converter bolts because the flywheel is exposed and right in front of you. I guess if you want to retain the oil in an engine a swap you wouldn't remove the pan, but I never retain the oil and will always take the pan off in the future to get to the torque converter bolts. I just pour the oil in my mercedes and as long as there is a little diesel mixed in, it is a happy camper.

Bad rave!

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-20-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

WOW! Is that a toothpick?

Old 05-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Reassemble it. Run it again. It was intermittent.....
What are you thinking there that is the most maddening part. I have video of it coming and going and it is not a subtle sound. It comes and goes regardless of engine temp. Sometimes it is there at startup. Sometimes it is there only when I am driving. Sometimes it is silent, then tapping, then silent again within the span of 30 minutes. And it does it idling, too, not just driving (comes and goes).

My only fear is that I am not seeing the center of the flex plate if I don't pull the engine. I can see everything but the center from the oil pan area.

Can anyone think of anything that would come and go like that? Could it just be the clogged pickup tube?! Maybe the rtv or the hair or whatever it is flops around and starves the rockers?

I'm going nuts.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-20-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Looks for like a floor drain than an oil pickup, no oil Preasure gauge?
Have to give you credit for fortitude

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Thanks, Buckeye! You've inspired me to show the picture. If you blow it up a little you will see the tiny space that oil could pass through. About the size of a dime.
<br >

What is the rest of that stuff? Hair?! Am I now going bald over this project!?

And by the way, the rave teaches to remove the torque converter bolts through the access hole. That is HARD. I've done it maybe a dozen times. Last night since I had removed the front cover, I had also removed the oil pan. It is now obvious (I don't know why it wasn't before) that with the oil pan out of the way it is a breeze to remove and install the torque converter bolts because the flywheel is exposed and right in front of you. I guess if you want to retain the oil in an engine a swap you wouldn't remove the pan, but I never retain the oil and will always take the pan off in the future to get to the torque converter bolts. I just pour the oil in my mercedes and as long as there is a little diesel mixed in, it is a happy camper.

Bad rave!

Quick Reply: Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE