Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
It could just be me but I like my pulleys rare. Again thats just me
They are definitely rare. Wow. I guess this is the burden of having a vehicle that was discontinued over a decade ago and shares parts with jaguars and, um, buicks.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:32 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Have I mentioned I have a 1963 Olds F-85 w/ the 215 motor with 33K on the odom in my garage? How long before I swap with the 193K odm D2?

Old 05-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts
Default Yoo-hoo!

I would have snuck a small pan of brownies on the side!

Good luck, seems you have this motor finally figured out. I can't wait until you need to replace the wires. I'm sure you will pull the motor instead of the upper intake, it's just easier for you!

Old 05-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by abran
I would have snuck a small pan of brownies on the side!

Good luck, seems you have this motor finally figured out. I can't wait until you need to replace the wires. I'm sure you will pull the motor instead of the upper intake, it's just easier for you!
Oh for sure. If I hadn't just wrestled the exhaust manifolds into place last night I would have it out right now.

Wait until I put a Chevy engine in it! More likely a souped up one from YOU.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Camel Trophy

This is a fun little diary of woe.

So close.

When I heat the pulley I have one chance to get it in. It slides in and then seizes. Found a can of freon and sort of sprayed the end of the crank but thats going to put me in the hospital so I abandoned that.

It is in the oven again but before I put it in, I gave the end of the slides for the woodruff key a little wider mouth with a rasp.

Hahaha this is absurd! I normally put the pulley on in 20 minutes!!! Day two!

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-21-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

You could use a can of spray air turned upside down to cool it off. You know the stuff you use to spray off your computer keyboard? Either that or put some dry ice around it. The stuff is pretty cheap and really cold.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Will Tillery has pulleys and they're not triple digit purchases. I paid $50 for mine. Series II's are like black flies, they're everywhere.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Baja

Just saw your cracked oil pump comment. Same happened to me the first front cover I did, actually cracked the oil pump gear retaining plate on the front cover when I started to tighten the pulley.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by abran
Just saw your cracked oil pump comment. Same happened to me the first front cover I did, actually cracked the oil pump gear retaining plate on the front cover when I started to tighten the pulley.
Yep. I did it. Like so many other things. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who has ever done that; thanks, Abran. I was feeling a little low about it.

But I rummaged around in the garage and found a pristine front cover and new oil pump. So the one I ordered today will be a spare for my spare. I have way too many parts.

IF the rover behaves after this last (probably in the morning), it will be time to return my mercedes to former glory and I will pester the mercedes forums awhile, find an HD L3, and let poor LRF recover. I saw Will Tillery posted the rotating gear for a 4.6. Maybe I'll take one of the 4.0 blocks to the shop and fix it up as a 4.6 for someone. Having done mine over and over surely I can make it run somewhat if I can just not leave loose bolts in the engine. I know a local guy who cant afford to fix his Disco II engine. I've been the recipient of so much helpful advice, and even parts from people like you, Abran, and Alex and Erik, if I can get my **** together it will be time to give back; that would really make his day, and mine.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:08 PM
Baja

Sounds like a good cause. I'm in. If you need any parts let me know.

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Yep. I did it. Like so many other things. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who has ever done that; thanks, Abran. I was feeling a little low about it.

But I rummaged around in the garage and found a pristine front cover and new oil pump. So the one I ordered today will be a spare for my spare. I have way too many parts.

IF the rover behaves after this last (probably in the morning), it will be time to return my mercedes to former glory and I will pester the mercedes forums awhile, find an HD L3, and let poor LRF recover. I saw Will Tillery posted the rotating gear for a 4.6. Maybe I'll take one of the 4.0 blocks to the shop and fix it up as a 4.6 for someone. Having done mine over and over surely I can make it run somewhat if I can just not leave loose bolts in the engine. I know a local guy who cant afford to fix his Disco II engine. I've been the recipient of so much helpful advice, and even parts from people like you, Abran, and Alex and Erik, if I can get my **** together it will be time to give back; that would really make his day, and mine.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE