Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
ZINC... YOUR OLD ENGINES NEED THIS!!! - YouTube

Maybe you didn't break-in your engine properly.
I've used a couple of bottles of the zinc stuff in my many initial starts. Even though it says not to use it on vehicles with cats. I also used the super expensive slimey stuff on the cam and bearings. And, of course, Vaseline in the two oil pumps and timing cover I've gone through.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Lifters- I believe I read they are new. Did you soak them in oil then hand prime them prior to install?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

When you installed the replacement heads, Did you use the original rockers/shafts?

If you used the one that were on the replacement heads, there may be play in the rocker/shaft fit. Metal shavings get embedded in the soft material of the rockers and wear down the shaft.

Heres what mine looked like: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ft-play-60470/

Old 05-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by chubbs878
You can't adjust anything on the rocker assemblies BUT if you pull wire leads and the noise actually stops on one of the cylinders then you have found the one that has the problem. All of your parts are new BUT with all of these catastrophic accidents, you could have missed some shrapnel and there goes your engine again. But anyway, see if you can find the problematic cylinder so then you actually know where to look.
You can adjust the lifer preload by shimming the towers.

http://www.v8engines.com/faq-gen.htm#preload

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-needed-45924/

Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by abran
Lifters- I believe I read they are new. Did you soak them in oil then hand prime them prior to install?

Lifters are new. I soaked them. But I didn't resoak or remove them when I swapped the heads from the latest disaster. I just put my finger under each one and made sure it looked normal, and wasn't stuck. Could they have air in them? I've never resoaked them when doing gaskets before but I'm open for anything.

I have something for you in a box by my desk. Sorry I'm late.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by acamato
Wow Ill read that in detail. I just took the lifters out of the tubes, soaked them overnight, and put them in. The rods were tight when I put the heads down but I didn't measure anything.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

LR issued a bulletin about date codes prior to 00 having loose pushrod cups. I can't find the bulletin I referenced here https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ft-play-60470/

I was able to find this (page 4-5): http://www.enginebuildermag.com/wp-c...0000005695.pdf

Old 05-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Camel Trophy

LR issued a bulletin about date codes prior to 00 having loose pushrod cups. I can't find the bulletin I referenced here https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ft-play-60470/

I was able to find this (page 4-5): http://www.enginebuildermag.com/wp-c...0000005695.pdf
I honestly got a little confused which heads I was using. But I believe that they were from a replacement engine I got several years ago that would be considered an early 4.0 judging from the need for a flexo late spacer and the odd duck oil sender threads from the front cover. They were, though, the heads that had NOT been ticking 24 hours prior when they were happily on the 4.0.

I always seem to run into problems when I swap known working parts.... If the sound is from the heads. I'm about to video it.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 AM
Camel Trophy

When you installed the replacement heads, Did you use the original rockers/shafts?

If you used the one that were on the replacement heads, there may be play in the rocker/shaft fit. Metal shavings get embedded in the soft material of the rockers and wear down the shaft.

Heres what mine looked like: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ft-play-60470/
Okay thats a good thread. So you've had ticking from rockers.

After the calamity I just grabbed the heads off of my 4.0 which was still on the stand from being removed, cleaned them up, lubricated them, and put them on the 4.6 which was then in the truck. I assumed that since they were fine on the 4.0 they would he fine on the 4.6. I also transferred the 4.0 push rods in order and oriented because they were just cleaner. The tops and bottoms were smooth.

I am sort of itching to pull the heads anyway but I only have one more set of gaskets. Amazon screwed me and delayed shipping on some parts I needed. I used bolts and have studs, and I used the wrong lower intake that has a squirrelly front bolt hole. But if I can fix it at the rockers I'll either replace the bolts with studs sans head removal and swap the lower intake or helicoil the bolt holes, or just wait for the inevitable head gasket replacement (either due to tinkering or overheat). If I go whole hog I am going to put my 4.0vs pistons in it.

That's why I want to focus before I take the hood off.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-04-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Every word of this is true.

I went outside to video the horrendous ticking. I didn't drive it all today so it would be good and loud. I started the video, turned it on, and did my video. Wow it was loud! I held the phone to different places hoping to catch the direction of the tick. The tick was there. Good and loud.

When I pressed stop, my phone said SD card removed. That's not good. There was no recording. So I shut the truck down and readjusted to shoot the video again. Started the engine. And no danged tick. None. First time ever. I even took it for a drive. No tick. Wife walked out. Before I could say anything, she commented that I "fixed" the tick and gave me applause.

I shut it down again and let it sit a few minutes, started the video... No tick. It turned into a video of a non ticking engine and of all of my Alex M modifications. Absurd.

Anyway, I fixed it. For future reference, the fix is using a video camera while turning the key.

I'll post again when whatever it was causes catastrophic failure.

I hate for Chubbs to be right--and he's NOT, mind you--but it sure looks like he is. My video is going in the sealed archives.

Thanks for all of the help! You fixed it!

No codes. No leaks.

As of this moment, my 4.0 to 4.6 conversion and rebuild is done. What a day!

Louder muffler and side panel out exhaust (or maybe one or the other) this weekend. Then I'll swap the books for heads and put the better lower intake in. Maybe I'll get some of my heads rebuilt before I tackle that so I can put some nice, tight, valves over the cylinders.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-04-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE