Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Old 05-04-2016, 10:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
I haven't seen anybody really discussing them on this forum so maybe it doesn't happen with these lifters (although you do mention "sticky lifters" so maybe that's what you're meaning...)
But anyway, the hydraulic tappets on my bike will often tick after a rebuild if air gets into them. Over time the air gets displaced by oil so the noise eventually goes away, but I know that people have reported that it comes and goes for a long time before it eventually resolves.
That answer appeals to me!! Hahahahah
Ok now as it sounds?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by number9
Ok now as it sounds?
The shocking, sudden, welcome, end of the ticking may have been due to air in a lifter. I guess.

I don't want to jinx it. Next subject.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Default This will blow your mind.

First, listen to the video above.

Then, listen to this:

It was silent this morning. Drove. No problems. Drive some more and I thought I heard a tick. Got home and that's what I heard. No codes.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

You still haven't pulled those damn spark plug wires? whenever its making all that noise, start pulling wires off of plugs one by one until the noise stops....IF it stops. That is how you begin the process

Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Camel Trophy

I just pulled all of the wires one by one. No change in the sound.

Back to lifters and rockers, I guess.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I just pulled all of the wires one by one. No change in the sound.

Back to lifters and rockers, I guess.

If the noise is in the valve train, it should have stopped on that cylinder when you pulled the HT wire. Now, if the whole rocker arm assembly were not torqued down, maybe. What about the exhaust manifold and gaskets? did you check the torque on those bolts again? it's pretty loud...maybe exhaust leak

Old 05-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by chubbs878
If the noise is in the valve train, it should have stopped on that cylinder when you pulled the HT wire. Now, if the whole rocker arm assembly were not torqued down, maybe. What about the exhaust manifold and gaskets? did you check the torque on those bolts again? it's pretty loud...maybe exhaust leak
It almost has to be, Chubbs. I didn't touch the rocker bolts but those heads just came out of my other running engine and it didn't make that noise for sure.

I've got an extra set of manifold gaskets. I did torque the manifold bolts and I'd cleaned the bolts but just thinking back I put BLUE, watery, Loctite on them because I was out of everything else. I just don't understand how it can be loud then silent then loud again. If I didn't have those videos (thanks to you Chubbs!) And a witness (wife) I'd really think I had imagined the quiet running. I'm positive I can fix it (because I have so many parts and don't mind tearing it apart) but I want to understand it, too, and loud, quiet, loud (at all Temps, normal driving) just doesn't fit my knowledge base. My only fear is taking it all apart not knowing what it is and then putting it back together, only to have the tick again.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-06-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Pro Wrench

and compression is the same across every cylinder? The noise is so loud that its from the exhaust or just beneath the valve covers because you can hear it from a mile away.

I have this weird sound that comes and goes with my exhaust but it only does that when it rains. You tell me about that. I seriously thought that I was delusional over that deal.

on your LR anything can come and go. I will look around a little bit more.

Last edited by chubbs878; 05-06-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by chubbs878
and compression is the same across every cylinder? The noise is so loud that its from the exhaust or just beneath the valve covers because you can hear it from a mile away.

I have this weird sound that comes and goes with my exhaust but it only does that when it rains. You tell me about that. I seriously thought that I was delusional over that deal.

on your LR anything can come and go. I will look around a little bit more.
I'm in the upper 190s to lower 200s on all cylinders. No misfires or other codes.

Rain? Haha. Mine likes the rain. Maybe that's the issue.

Yes, it is very loud. It was silent. Then at least as loud as in the video, then silent again. Now it's loud. Embarrassingly loud.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound -- NOT A SLIPPED SLEEVE