Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp Idiot light ON

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trans Temp Idiot light ON

Ok, so I am hoping that the extensive experience here on the site will be able to help me out, as I am not sure how to proceed at this time. Here is what has happened to get me to this point.

Several days ago out wheeling, and went through a large puddle. The engine started to run rough and miss (throughing P-codes). I continued on the trail, and the codes cleared and engine began to run a bit better. However the next day, the engine again ran rough... so I booked a slot with the local ROVER EXPERT and he found nothing unusual.

Prior to taking it to the mechanic I washed the truck, and BINGO the Trans Temp Idiot light came on.... I shut the truck down and waited as per the owners manual. STILL THERE. So I drove it to the shop that way. Chris the mechanic indicated that the O2 sensors Front Passenger / Driver side are going so this may have contributed to the rough running, also looks like moister go into the intake affecting the MAFs sensor. He checked Trans fluid, and color with no issues... and he says the sensor is working. So there is no reason for the idiot light to be on...

I am lost... light still on and truck drives fine. Gone a hundred miles with no issue EXCEPT the light is still on. Is there a computer for the transmission that would capture this error and keep it until reset. I used the ODBII to read the codes.. other than the P0300 (misfire) P0307 (#7 misfire) there are no other codes Pending or Active.

CAN SOMEONE PLS HELP?

Old 05-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Did he check the T case? The light works on the trans and T case.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Abran, thank you... I will have him check it out Monday. I still feel like there is something wrong. But I am still driving it

Is it possible there is nothing wrong? The light is tripped for no reason? Shouldn't there be a code in the computer for that?

Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Nope. These are two old style on/off switch units, both wired in parallel. In the RAVE manual you can find pictures of them. One is top of radiator, or is side of the Tcase.

The following users liked this post:
clint70 (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 04:47 AM
Rock Crawling

So... found both sensors - Trans cooler AND T-case. Disconnected the trans cooler one no change. Disconnected the t-case and light goes out. SO I am reasonably sure that the t-case sensor has gone bad. I will change that this week and let you know IF that was it.

I will also look at the RAVE Manual, does it tell you what the sensor should be sending (voltage wise). Maybe I'll check that first just to make sure that there is nothing wrong over all. Seems weird that the trans temp light is on as soon as you start the truck...

I don't feel that there is any issue with the trans / t-case so for now Ill just have the light on. Thank you for the help.