Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case bearings or driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case bearings or driveshaft

Hi All. My 2001 Disco 2 had the driveshaft rebuilt about 6 mos ago. Reputable shop that focuses on drive shafts. Started making a vibration at around 30 mph again, as well as some noise. Took it back, they said they pulled it twice, rebuilt and rebalanced and still same thing. They talked to the dealer who suggested the bearing on the transfer case may be shot. Thoughts? Any one else experience this? Is this going to be costly (i am guessing it is). Help appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

can you give a better description of the vibration... does it stop and start at different speeds? is it constant? does in increase with speed? can you feel it? or just hear it? DO you have an indie mechanic in your area that? they will do a better job for a lot less money and will also diagnose the issue more practically than a dealer

Old 04-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Drifting

What I noticed: Vibration starts at 30mph, consistent there after. Doesnt get any worse after 30mph. I had the local lube pump some grease into the shaft, pointed out all the fittings (had to guide them through it, said they didnt see any), and it seemed a bit better. The noise is the same, starts at about 30mph and consistent there after. To me it sounds like tire noise or out of round tires. Just had the tires replaced, so I figured that was it.

Shop: Says they can feel it at 20mph, they say they feel not just when accelerating but also when they take the foot of the pedal. I didnt notice that. It is a driveshaft shop, very reputable.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Winching

Okay, So if you just had the tires replaced... did you hear/have the noise/vibration before you replaced the tires? Is you front prop shaft rebuilt with zerks on the double cardon by the transfer case? I know you said it was rebuilt. but with or without grease fitings... How about the roto-flex on the rear shaft/differential. How old is that? You can get a replacement and change that out in 10 minutes by yourself. DO NOT GO TO DEALER! I do not know where you are but I would ask i=on this forum if there are any indie shops near by.
I know it can be frustrating but by process of elimination all can be solved. At least that is my experience so far.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Thanks. Zerks x 4, center joint and at each u joint.

No, have never replaced the rotoflex. I am going to try and get more information on that, didn't know that could be a problem. Figured the driveshaft guys would have picked up on it.

I wish I knew of a reputable indie shop in San Antonio. Haven't found one yet.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Three Wheeling

Did you have any vibration prior to the drive shaft rebuild and tire replacement?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Yes. With the first rebuild I had vibration the same. Don't rememer noise. Thats why i figured must be propshaft since it was so similar. After the first rebuild all was good until the last couple weeks. I don't know if changing the tires set it all off or what. In any case, the driveshaft shop says they went through it twice, and are 100% sure it is not the front or rear driveshaft.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Winching

I am starting to think that it is tire related...still check the roto-flex. even my mechanic looked over that when I had a little vibration. Disco-mike suggested the roto to me and that took care of the issue I had. you might want to to take the truck to a different tire shop and have them check the balance.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Mudding

Are you removing and reinstalling the drive shaft yourself? With a 2001, you should be able to lock the CDL and drive the Disco with ONLY the back shaft in place. If it goes away, it MAY be the drive shaft or it MAY be the interaction with the new tires. If the noise/vibration is still there, it not the front drive shaft. Reinstall it and then remove the rear drive shaft and drive it again. This shouldn't be terribly time consuming.

Can someone else weigh in on this? I have not done this myself so it only THEORY for me.

RS

Last edited by Rearden Steel; 04-06-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a big IF he has CDL on his 2001....