Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transfer Case not engaging

Transfer box notengaging

I recently installed a locking CDL in the front out-puthousing of my 2001 Discovery II with automatic gearbox.

I ordered a CDL update kit (including the CDL linkage) fromAshcroft as the outer casing of my vehicle did not have the differentialcomponents installed.

At the same time I also installed Ashcroft ATB front andrear diff locks.

I took care to follow instructions and advice from otherdisco enthusiasts who kindly shared their knowledge on the internet. I amindebted to you all.

When re-installing the front out put housing, differentialassembly and high/low selector shaft and fork I took particular care that thehigh/low selector shaft and fork was in the correct position and that thefingers of the selection fork are properly seated in the high /low selectorsleeve and that the spines of the rear output shaft were engaged in thedifferential

Troubleshooting

1) Thenew diff lock lever and linkage engages nicely to and from the diff lock positionand the centre diff lock light illuminates on the dashboard when engaged.

2) However the high/low lever is verydifficult to engage. I can get the lever in the high position and with great difficultysometimes in low.

3) Thetransfer case does not engage. In both the high/low position, in both reverseand drive, the vehicle would move about six inches and then stop and will notmove again.

Tests carried out

Engine running Hi / Lo lever in eitherHi or Low Position

1) Gearboxin Parked mode. Car stationary.

2) Gearboxin Reverse mode vehicle moves 6 inches and then stops won’t move.

3) Gearboxin Drive Mode vehicle moves 6 inches and then stops won’t move.

4) Priorto the upgrade I could feel a slight jerk movement in the vehicle when either Dor R was engaged. That does not happen any more.

Engine turned off Hi/Low Lever in eitherHi or Low Position

1) Gearboxin parked mode unable to push the vehicle forward or backwards.

2) Gearboxin Reverse mode I can push the vehicle forward and backwards.

3) Gearboxin Drive/2/3 mode I can push the vehicle forward and backwards.

Detent plug ball and spring

I removed and re-installed andadjusted the plug ball and spring several times with no avail. It is difficultto find the happy medium to get the high/low lever to move when setting theball and spring.

Any advice

Thanks for reading this. Anyadvice will be most welcome.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you try moving the shifter when the DII is rolling?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

You can rarely engage low range on a Disco unless you are moving forward very slowly, less than 5 mph. The instructions are on the plate at the front near the gear stick. You cannot move an auto in P (Park) it has a hydraulic transmission brake designed specifically for that purpose. It almost doubles as another handbrake. It would pay to read the owners handbook or the RAVE manual carefully or you may do some damage.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents thanks for your input.When I did all the upgrades I also replaced the gearbox filter and oil.Did not add enough oil in gearbox .Vehicle running perfect.!!! A few lights on the dashboard TC and ABS to be sorted then vehicle will be good as new